Heads up - cheap guy lines, ridge lines etc.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Took a punt on this, badged as picture hanging cord:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311042014148?var=610313215248
100m of 2.2mm braided polyester to use as ridge lines, guy lines etc.

Polyester cord is very low stretch, UV and abrasion resistant. This has a breaking strain of 113kg - more than ample for the purposes I want to use it for. Given it's braided it may even splice.
http://www.christinedemerchant.com/rope_material_polyester.html

This is a lot cheaper than any zing-it or lash-it I could find. Only downside is it's white - but I can live with that.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Thanks for heads up. For the reasons you gave (and polyester also has a higher melting point than nylon as well) this is why most arborists/tree climbers ropes are made out of polyester not nylon. There are situations though where either more or less stretch is appropriate for the task the rope/cord is put to, dyneema has even less stretch than polyester which may or may not be a good thing depending on task. Regarding braiding/splicing if you mean such as to make whoopie slings etc then the cord must have a hollow core to enable that, I doubt if this cord does have a hollow core, unless you are referring to braiding/splicing in general such as decorative or joining etc. ATB.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thanks for heads up. For the reasons you gave (and polyester also has a higher melting point than nylon as well) this is why most arborists/tree climbers ropes are made out of polyester not nylon. There are situations though where either more or less stretch is appropriate for the task the rope/cord is put to, dyneema has even less stretch than polyester which may or may not be a good thing depending on task. Regarding braiding/splicing if you mean such as to make whoopie slings etc then the cord must have a hollow core to enable that, I doubt if this cord does have a hollow core, unless you are referring to braiding/splicing in general such as decorative or joining etc. ATB.

I think this is hollow core (one of the pics shows a frayed end with no core peeping out), will know when it get's delivered - not intending to use this for whoopies though - I just like to splice eyes on my ridgelines and guys if possible.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
thanks for update, i'm pleasantly surprised i didn't think it would be hollow core myself, it's easy to get hollow core nylon but i've not seen much hollow core polyester and i prefer polyester myself for various reasons many of which you gave in OP. (it makes good bow drill cord as well, lasts longer than nylon due to higher melting point and better abrasion resistance) Good spot thanks for sharing info.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
thanks for update, i'm pleasantly surprised i didn't think it would be hollow core myself, it's easy to get hollow core nylon but i've not seen much hollow core polyester and i prefer polyester myself for various reasons many of which you gave in OP. (it makes good bow drill cord as well, lasts longer than nylon due to higher melting point and better abrasion resistance) Good spot thanks for sharing info.

I'm finding it impossible to splice though - the braiding is so tight there ostensibly is no space to feed the cord back through itself. But it's extremely strong, quite wirey. It would indeed make excellent bow drill cord.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
yes i've found loose braid small diameter hollow polyester seems impossible to find in the UK which is a real shame whereas the same in nylon is readily available everywhere.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
yes i've found loose braid small diameter hollow polyester seems impossible to find in the UK which is a real shame whereas the same in nylon is readily available everywhere.

Maybe it's a function of the material - perhaps, as it isn't stretchy it'll take a tighter braid, which gives you a stronger cord for a lower diameter (although dyneema doesn't seem to be produced that way). It also seems to "unravel" quicker than other cords so the tight braid may be necessary to keep it bound together.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE