Heads up cheap dehydrator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a bargain :)
They're useful if you like munching dried fruits, etc., and are prepared to take the time and effort to actually use them.

Mine's on just now, and it's been on for the past four days. Huge bags of apples in Home Bargains for a pound = a lot of apple rings :D

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
@ 18.99, buy 2 of them. That's a real deal even 1 @ 19.99. Toddy has a plan for cheap food.
I dry maybe 20kg Roma tomatoes each autumn. Batch after batch after batch, it gets kind of tedious.
A second dryer would get made up with local fruit in season.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
My dehydrator comes second only to my bread machine, it's paid for itself over and again and as Mary says you're getting real food without anything that shouldn't be there with everything that should be; no brainer :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes :) no bother at all.
Just be aware that it does use a lot of meat and the resultant stuff is apparently irresistible :rolleyes: and disappears like snow off a dyke in the middle of Summer.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeah, it works altogether too dang good for making jerky (biltong has different meaning for us). I buy supplies in most outdoor stores.
Cabela's Jerky pistol for using burger. I get 17' x 1/2" from 1lb/454g bison burger. I could slice whole meat but that's too chewy for me.

dean4442: you gotta do it. As Toddy says, the quality of the product is heavenly.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A dehydrator is one of those things I like the idea of but I suspect I'll end up just not using it after a short while, much like my vacuum sealer!!

That's what happens to most kitchen gadgets and what I suspected might happen with mine, but it's so quick and easy to use with hardly any clean-up it's been in constant use since I got it, about two years now.

The other thing that's great with these is that you can put stuff in the night before an un-planned trip and it's ready when you get up, so the rewards can be almost instant which, for me, means I do use it a lot without fuss.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
That's what happens to most kitchen gadgets and what I suspected might happen with mine, but it's so quick and easy to use with hardly any clean-up it's been in constant use since I got it, about two years now.

The other thing that's great with these is that you can put stuff in the night before an un-planned trip and it's ready when you get up, so the rewards can be almost instant which, for me, means I do use it a lot without fuss.

sounds good. Out of curiosity, what are you drying so often? I suspect if I had my allotment still it would be great for when I had a glut of bits.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just now mine's drying down the last of about 10kgs of apples :) Last time it was pears and fruit leathers.
Previously I had marinated tofu and dried that out to veggie jerky.

All good stuff :D

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I dehydrate a lot of leftovers from my dinner and take 'em out in the following days so I've always got a meal with me that weighs nothing; doesn't matter if I don't eat it for a while, it won't spoil. I also buy loads of good fruit for very little money at the nearest market stall and dry that, and I'm always being given meat of various sorts by those who hunt so a lot of that gets done either cooked or as jerky.

From now until around mid-may it's slim pickin's around and about but I've always got stuff dried and stashed so I never get caught out with the 'April is the cruelest month' syndrome........Other times of the year I'll be doing mushrooms, berries and fruits and pretty much anything it may be my good fortune to stumble upon :)

Combined with the vac. pac. you already have you'd be ready for anything!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I just put some baking parchment, clingfilm or something like that in/on the tray as a liner for anything sloppy or wet.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought some of the oven liner trays, the golden brown coloured ones, and I just cut them into big doughnut shaped rings to fit the trays. That let the hot air blow up through the centre. When the leather gets to the stage that it'll peel off easily I just take it off the sheets entirely and let it dry fully on the racks.
They work to stop apple rings that are wet with lemon juice from sticking too. Let them dry a bit and just remove the silicon type sheets and dry as usual.

Works with small cut up veggies too; the bits for soups/noodles/stews when out.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The jerky pistol. I've got a big one from Cabella's. Works wonderfully well. Use with burger as I described in #8.
TRICK: burger looks really granular and crumbly. It is all of that. With cure and spices added, put on a disposable vinyl shop glove
and start mashing to mix. Keep going and going. All of a sudden, you will see the texture change from granular to very meaty-fibrous.
Now, it will hang together for the drying process.

Thanks for the tips for sloppy stuff. I will do that.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well it arrived today and I'm leaving it running overnight to dry some apples and grapes, because they were lying around.

@Robson Valley - took me a while to realise that what you call "burger" we call "mince". I haven't got a jerky gun but have seen ways of rolling it out in a slab and cutting into strips

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Of course! burger = mince. From a pound/454g approx, I can squirt out 17' x 1/2" and it's less than 1/8" thick when dry.
While I'm buying a side of bison each year, I see these deals in the grocey stores, like 2 or 3 kg beef burger/mince in a single package.
Must admit that a kg of seasoned meat in the dryer is an absolutely heavenly smell all through the house!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE