heading out

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
right guys i have finished packing my kit and im off into galloway for a week. i have packed as little gear as i think i can get away with, food is also lightweight as i am hoping to bag a few roe as we will be slap bang in the rut so i have high expectations.
I will put up an account of my time with piccies later, atb wayne

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You have permission to shoot deer ?..............and there's a lot of meat in 'one' roe deer let alone in several.

Toddy

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
yes mate i have permission i will be eating the offal and fillets the rest of the carcass will be left to butcher at home . usually i get around 20 good sized steaks off a roe and enough burgers to last an age. atb wayne

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
ooh yer i like those sausages , will have to give those a go . i have just got a dutch oven so will take that next time but i am travelling light this time to cover the ground ,atb wayne

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They needed fat added, the venison's a touch lean; the man I know who makes them uses pope's eye steak fat, his FIL is a butcher and that stuff just goes to render these days.

Yeah, no way are Dutch ovens lightweight kit :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
ah thats interesting thanks for that, no i know what you mean my dutch oven is abit big so only good for larger parties its a 16ltr so i want a small one that i can take, atb wayne

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you're looking for small for cooking, the flat cast iron girdles are good.........bilmo p5 showed one with a lip that works well for frying. I bought a modern small one for baking; surprisingly useful.
Flash fry some sliced up ransom bulbs in butter and then quickly fry thin slices of venison in the jus. At least as good as bacon, for as quickly as it was cooked it was eaten :rolleyes: Useful for making flat omelette type eggy things too.......and it all goes on a roll.

Under-rated tool a cast iron girdle or bakestone, I think.

cheers,
Toddy

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
thats a good point that i have one of those i forgot about the underside for frying that all sounds great,atb wayne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE