Headed North for 3 nights

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Managed to get a nice stint in over the past few days. The weather was very kind, hardly any breeze (sometimes none at all!) and only the lightest of drizzle on the last night/morning. The red deer were super vocal the whole time. Seals, herons, cormorants, oyster catchers and sea otters all put in an appearance, including a very friendly and inquisitive Robin.

Mussels, green shore crab and cod all added to basic porridge and rice meals. The mussels were particularly stunning. Also discovered that pine needles added to a reused teabag brew creates a very good beverage!

Really falling in love with hammock camping.

A few pics for you to enjoy;

20201018_111339.jpg20201018_111307.jpg20201017_162116.jpg20201017_095936.jpg20201015_190128.jpg

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Difficult to not want to be away camping all the time when we find a happy niche....
Your pictures and statement “Really falling in love with hammock camping” make me want pack and go now!
Thanks for sharing it....

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
That looks GREAT!!!

Do you fish when away in these areas? and if so what do you catch?

Hell yeah! Here in particular, mainly due to the time of year methinks, I caught 7 cod, 5 over taking size. All caught on shucked mussels whipped onto a limpet, about 30-40 yards from shore. I also caught a bull huss on old skanky supermarket mackerel, but that was the only thing caught. Had a few fellows on lures, but only a couple of follows no takes. Most likely sea trout.

Reactions: Robson Valley

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hell yeah! Here in particular, mainly due to the time of year methinks, I caught 7 cod, 5 over taking size. All caught on shucked mussels whipped onto a limpet, about 30-40 yards from shore. I also caught a bull huss on old skanky supermarket mackerel, but that was the only thing caught. Had a few fellows on lures, but only a couple of follows no takes. Most likely sea trout.

And yet we have no photos of you catching or cooking them up.......

Look closely at my face Mr Caveman...

This is what disappointment looks like.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Oops! Apologies! To be honest, they were not very photogenic once cooked. A bit err, blackened!

The mussels however. I really should have taken a pic of those. They were like the size and colour of an orange segment. Boiled/steamed in stock and spices too

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Great shots! And glad to read your fishing tips! Looks like a great spot to get away from it all.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Yes :) they are very tasty too. Just boil them. Just take the biggest ones, as they have a better amount of claw meat/brown meat. 15 mins is ample boil time
Well that is a revelation. I used to catch and eat spider crabs when snorkelling many years ago, but always thought shore crabs were inedible and so ignored them. I need to get back to the coast!

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Well that is a revelation. I used to catch and eat spider crabs when snorkelling many years ago, but always thought shore crabs were inedible and so ignored them. I need to get back to the coast!

Look out for Lady crabs/velvet swimmers too. I don't rate the brown meat as much but the claw meat is great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE