Hazel nut variance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I wonder whether the fact that the Hazelnuts are not getting eaten is why they are bigger this year ?

I can't comment for your area but we've had a fairly cool and dry year down here. I think the large hazelnut crop here is down to the fact we've not had a hard late frost, of much frost at all.

The plants I collect from produce large nuts every year, I'm sure they were more productive a few years ago but they are getting shaded out a bit by other trees in my woodland.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nuts!.... whole hazel nuts!
View attachment 55576 Let's get cracking!

Ooh, show off. A ‘cracking’ haul. :D

The wind and rain we had here in August knocked a lot of little nuts down. I gathered them and left them for a bit to dry, but they were too young and got mould. I’m still finding loads but nothing like yours.

More wind and rain over the last few days have knocked off a lot of the smaller conkers and Sweet Chestnuts. I’m hoping it’s like thinning the fruit on an overloaded apple tree and the rest of the chestnuts get to grow huge. I got some good ones from young trees last year, trees I wouldn’t have expected to produce much other than those little brown slips of seeds.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ooh, show off. A ‘cracking’ haul. :D

The wind and rain we had here in August knocked a lot of little nuts down. I gathered them and left them for a bit to dry, but they were too young and got mould. I’m still finding loads but nothing like yours.

More wind and rain over the last few days have knocked off a lot of the smaller conkers and Sweet Chestnuts. I’m hoping it’s like thinning the fruit on an overloaded apple tree and the rest of the chestnuts get to grow huge. I got some good ones from young trees last year, trees I wouldn’t have expected to produce much other than those little brown slips of seeds.

I'm still picking up a pocketful a day.! I was using a broom to sweep them into piles last week.
I see a basket full of nutella, hazel nut liqueur, nut butter, may even try hazelnut milk. I know you can do it with almond nuts.
I'm going to have a cracking time.... or I may crack up before I get that far, and go totaly nuts. :) :) .
I'm a bit worried about having to de shell that many hazels! I'm gonna wear my ancient nutcrackers out.
It's a great haul tho. Best of my foraging efforts ever. My back and knees are still aching after the hours spent picking them all up.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Placed nut on a larger, flat stone.
Smacked it either with another, smaller stone, or a suitable piece of an antler.

The skeletal remains ( teeth) do not show that they used the teeth.

Extrapolating today living ‘primitive’ peoples habits, it was a woman’s job.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've seen stones with pits of varying depths pecked into them.
Interpreted as a nut-cracker stone for different sizes.
Certainly would work that way.

My kids once had access to hazel nuts and walnuts which washed down an old creek by the house.
They learned how to avoid bruising fingers.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE