Hazel Fork

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Was bored this morning so grabbed a small spatula from the "for sale" box and turned it into a fork, I forgot to take a photo of the spatula before i started - sorry.

The carving on this was all done with my trusty Victorinox Hiker, with the exception of the bottom of the tines which i drilled out with a 3mm drill in a pin vice, i could have done it with the awl on the Hiker, but the wood was fairly thin and i didnt want to risk splitting it out, once the holes were drilled i used the small blade on the Hiker to whittle out the gaps between the tines by using the same process as you would when carving out the holes on a netting needle, ie carefully, slowly and from opposite sides, i then repeated the process on the other side until i had worked my way through.

Once i was happy with the overall shape i lightly sanded it all down with some 800 grit, this afternoon's job is to try and steam bend the times so they are not so flat and therefore better suited to eating with, if im successful, i will then whittle the tines down to a finer point, at the moment i've left them thick for a bit of added strength.

53989768389_f13c9a5af1_z.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice work! Is there a danger that the steam bent tines might straighten out in time, especially if the fork is immersed in liquid?
Thankee.

I've steam bent stuff before and i've found that they tend to stay in the same position as long as they are not immersed in water for too long, but yup i suppose there is a risk of the tines straightening out over time, if they do, i guess the fork will form half of a salad serving set :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE