Haunch of Venison Help Please?

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi All, i have a fresh rolled haunch of venison 1kg in weight, could somebody please suggest a decent recipe for tonights dinner, without it being too complicated, or the need to go miles for obscure ingredients and lastly, so it feeds 4 oh yeah and 2 of them are kids, that have never eaten it!

Thanks.

Ivan...

If it was adults only id suggest slow cooking in red wine and port with root veg.-sweet potatoes carrots onions parsnips etc
Always a winner that. (If you look at some of my out and about posts you'll see its a regular camping favourite)
Maybe as its for kids too slow cook in oven with gravy and root veg?

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
019.jpg024.jpg

This was the Sussex meets January meal. Cubed Venison and root veg slow cooked in ale.(all the alchohol evaporates during the cooking) A stock cube and seasoning, and some dumplings added for the last 12-15 minutes. Delicious.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 3

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks Chaps, i think i will keep it simple, got parsnips,swede,carrots and peas, will cube it up some stock,some beer and port left over from christmas, put it all in the dutch oven, a little seasoning and if the kids don't like it i will put them on Ebay tomorrow!

I was trying to avoid juniper, but the pear option did sound quite nice, thanks for the tips, may just return to see how it went, and maybe the link to two cheap kids, no reserve!

Ivan...

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Long and slow oven cooked is probably the best way :) Most decent cuts of venison need to be served rare-medium rare or slow cooked. In between it tends to be a bit tough :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE