Hat recommendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
If ya dont mind the look of boonie hats, theyre great winter hats before you go to bed as the brim reflects heat back on to your face and keep ya head warm, in the same way a lean to reflects the fire back at you. They work the opposite way around though if you have a good breeze in your face. I like mine because it keeps light rain/loose brush/insects off and work well with a mozzie net. Work well with a toque/neck scarf or lightweight beanie underneath. They're quite weatherproof.
But not ideal if you like to wear hoods, or if you sleep cold, etc.
A good peaked beanie or ushanka may suit you better without accessories. X

Edit: the brim reflects heat from a fire i mean. Traps it in the same way a tarp with a overhang does. + if you hunt a full circle brim as opposed to a duckbill is harder to detect movement from if you think about how a slight movement is exaggerated at distance if you know what i mean. I wont go into detail im sure it is common sense. A small degree up close is a much bigger distance at range. A boonie also breaks uo your outline nicely.
Depends what you want your hat to do.

Edit: 2. Im sure some others here will be able to explain a bit better. Im currently at the pub.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Baigent

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Trad Russian ushanka made from rabbit skin. Iff RH will keep you seriously warm & the flaps keep your ears warm or make you look like a boy band hipster. Your choice

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lowe Alpine classic Mountain Cap.

All weather, any weather, it deals. Mine's nearly twenty years old and it's still sound. Himself's is just as old and is still used.
Not cheap, but worth every penny. Warm, dry, breathable, stays on, wired brim that's just the right size. Packs into a pocket and comes out still looking decent enough to wander through civilisation.

Like this....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowe-Alpin...AAMKJ0VCAVB&psc=1&refRID=GZMQT2G8XAAMKJ0VCAVB

https://www.furhatworld.com/
But, as you live in a country where it does not get that cold, a Wool hat with a visor should be enough?
The issue I have is that the high winds we have here at the coast (England) cuts straight through woollen hats, when the temperature is around freezing I need more protection.

The problem with all these answers is that I can see a use for all the hats people have suggested and I will probably end up buying loads!

Reactions: santaman2000

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow

All weather, any weather, it deals. Mine's nearly twenty years old and it's still sound. Himself's is just as old and is still used.
Not cheap, but worth every penny. Warm, dry, breathable, stays on, wired brim that's just the right size. Packs into a pocket and comes out still looking decent enough to wander through civilisation.

Like this....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowe-Alpin...AAMKJ0VCAVB&psc=1&refRID=GZMQT2G8XAAMKJ0VCAVB

So good near enough every other company has copied it in some form or another…i keep losing them, so gave up owning one

I bought a hat from keela, that was almost the same design that tesco sold for three quid. I prefer the tesco version for being looser.

Sometimes it pays to wander round asda sainsburys and of course tesco

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere

Like this....
It is what I mostly rely on in winter, mind you of late I have gone all peaky blinder with my tweed cap, which may not have the ear flaps but is alright under a hood.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Stormy Kromer.
Stormy_Kromer_Mackinaw_Cap_50070-415__19670.1557325261.jpg

Wax cotton available as well. The wool version is my favourite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE