Has the Earths axis shifted??

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Ho Ho! Let us not believe NASA and all the others institutions that subscribe to the International Astronomical Union.

Shame that the sunset and sunrise of significance are way out of place, oh wait the shift is- 4,500 years ago the sunrise would have appeared about 1° to the left of that shown in the picture below. The change in the angle of the Earth's axial tilt since 2,500BC (from ~24° to ~23.5°) has shifted sunrise to the right by approx. two diameters of the Sun.
http://www.stonesofstonehenge.org.uk/

Not very significant.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ho Ho! Let us not believe NASA and all the others institutions that subscribe to the International Astronomical Union.

Shame that the sunset and sunrise of significance are way out of place, oh wait the shift is- 4,500 years ago the sunrise would have appeared about 1° to the left of that shown in the picture below. The change in the angle of the Earth's axial tilt since 2,500BC (from ~24° to ~23.5°) has shifted sunrise to the right by approx. two diameters of the Sun.
http://www.stonesofstonehenge.org.uk/

Not very significant.

That's right on the cusp of the end of our Neolithic and the beginning of the Bronze Age on the British Isles, isn't it ? Interesting time :D

M

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Yes Mary, it made it difficult when we were doing our Living History presentations at Durrington Walls and Stonehenge in that we had to curb our enthusiasm for later Bronze Age artifacts shown. So, mostly bone, stone and pottery with some copper knives and a small bit of bronze along with grain grinding, cordage, textile and of course archery to represent hunting. Mustn't forget the skin boats displayed as well.

Our persona were traders and it was interesting that our "trading village" grew over the years from a bender to several Tents and an increasing population including potters and woodworkers. This probably mirrored the developing importance of the site in prehistory.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It can be hard getting through to people that the folks back then didn't go to bed one night in the Neolithic and woke up the next morning all suddenly enirched with the goods of the Bronze Age.
Society changes slowly, people are industrious and capable, and acquiring expensive items in trade was just that, expensive.

Setting up as Traders is a good way to open discussion, show variety and encourage open minds, I believe :D

M

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
OT but I always thought that if I was trading back then I would concentrate on honey and salt. Non-perishable, if the salt is kept dry, and possibly addictive for one's customers.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Honey, salt and sweet dried fruits…..and olive oil if you could get it and sap boiled down for 'sugar'.

Unctions and ointments too, and the resins now mostly used as incense that were medicinal then, Small, easily packed, and interesting :D

M

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Flint trade is in the hands of the flintworkers' guild, wouldn't dare impinge on their trade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE