Has anyone experienced Rab down bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
leon-1 said:
I don't own one, but I have used them and basically what the other guys have said. RAB have a very good reputation and from what I know and have experienced of thier kit (not just thier bags) it is well deserved.
Said it for me :)

Gregorach I completely agree. Uncompressed winter sleeping bags are HUGE, and they all are and all have to be, 'cos that's what makes 'em warm :rolleyes:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I've just done a little experiment. My Ajungilak Kompact (which is only really a 3 season bag) more or less fills my Sabre 45 when uncompressed.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
CM Burns said:
sounds like most people here are carrying way too much gear if there is no room in their backpack for a loosly stuffed sleeping bag :rolleyes:
heres my usual kit when i dont have the kata..
DSCF0057.jpg

and here it is packed up..
DSCF0054.jpg

you can see my rab bad in the top right of the first picture, in the storage bag it comes with the rab is held in an 'uncompressed' state, i have just tried them next to each other and its rought twice the size of my pack.. :rolleyes:

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
i actually use a 90 litre pack for long winter trips!

however i have built up a collection of lightweight gear - which is also highly compact - this allows me to carry a synthetic duvet and down sleeping bag lightly stuffed on top of all the other gear.

most people do carry way too much stuff - for example how often does the temperature actually fall below freezing in a UK winter? the answer is not often - even in Scotland! so most of the time my 400g Western Mountaineering sleeping bag keeps me warm close to freezing, I can always sleep in my 400g synthetic pullover if chilly and use a 300g bivy bag to add a few more degrees of protection. there are very few nights in a UK winter when this kit would prove to be inadequate!

i also choose clothing to avoid having additional kit in the pack - a ventile jacket means no waterproof coat is required, and Paramo Cascade trousers do away with overtrousers

my all time favourite boots are Danner Matterhorns - awesome - no chance of getting wet feet so fewer spare socks are required.

you get the idea so i shalln't bother going further as most of you aren't really interested in the benefits of a lightweight approach to gear :rolleyes: :D

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
CM Burns said:
you get the idea so i shalln't bother going further as most of you aren't really interested in the benefits of a lightweight approach to gear :rolleyes: :D
Not sure you're right there... I got into bushcraft for exactly that reason. I can carry less on my back and more in my head. :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
CM Burns said:
i actually use a 90 litre pack for long winter trips!

however i have built up a collection of lightweight gear - which is also highly compact - this allows me to carry a synthetic duvet and down sleeping bag lightly stuffed on top of all the other gear.

most people do carry way too much stuff - for example how often does the temperature actually fall below freezing in a UK winter? the answer is not often - even in Scotland! so most of the time my 400g Western Mountaineering sleeping bag keeps me warm close to freezing, I can always sleep in my 400g synthetic pullover if chilly and use a 300g bivy bag to add a few more degrees of protection. there are very few nights in a UK winter when this kit would prove to be inadequate!

[...]

I prefer a much smaller pack than that - 65L or less. Now who's carrying too much? ;) :)

As for the temperature not dropping below freezing very often in a Scottish winter, I have to wonder where you're getting that... It may not look that cold on the weather forecast, but you get up into the hills and it's a different story. And if you're not prepared for when it hits -20 overnight (or worse, and I've seen it happen), then you're in real trouble if it does. People die every year because of that sort of thinking.

Coldest temperature I've had to sleep out in was -15, Coldest I've personally experienced in Scotland is -28. Not accouting for windchill. In the Lowlands. I've seen entire weeks without the temperature ever getting above freezing, even in Edinburgh, and I'm sure everyone else in Scotland has too.

We can happily disagree about the relative benefits of carrying a small pack with a compressed bag versus a large pack and an uncompressed bag, but going out into a Scottish winter assuming that the temperature isn't going to drop much below freezing is a different matter. That's dangerous.

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
the point is to watch the weather forecasts and kit up as appropriate - and camp in warmer spots avoiding low areas where cold air will settle

and i've camped out at -22C at Xmas about 10 years ago when there was an amazing period of cold weather, most beautiful time I've ever experienced in the mountains :D

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
CM Burns said:
the point is to watch the weather forecasts and kit up as appropriate - and camp in warmer spots avoiding low areas where cold air will settle

and i've camped out at -22C at Xmas about 10 years ago when there was an amazing period of cold weather, most beautiful time I've ever experienced in the mountains :D

Fair enough, but I don't like relying on the forecast too much... ;)

I remember that winter - I was out around New Year. Great, but cold. To be honest, I'm too much of a wuss for that sort of thing these days... :)

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
I may have entered this thread a bit late…but for what it's worth….

RAB have an excellent and well earned reputation. One of my mates uses their 'topbag' for ultra light trekking and Mountain Marathons.

However, I am currently preparing for a 1 month long trek in the high Himalayas in February when it's quite likely going to be a tad on the chilly side (-25°C excluding wind-chill !).

Another friend of mine did a similar trek last year and has used RAB equipment before, but he has also sworn by bags and down jackets by a company called PHD or Peter Hutchinson Designs.

For my Trek to Nepal in Februaray I've picked a Diamir 900 down Bag

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=26_62&products_id=96

I know many here really rate the Nanok bags but as far as I am aware (and I've done a search) no one has ever discussed,reviewed or rated PHD kit here on BushcraftUK.

PHD has a web site at http://www.phdesigns.co.uk

I'm buying most of my kit for this trek from Tower Ridge http://www.towerridge.co.uk/ they stock RAB and PHD kit. They have been extremely helpful and seem to sell it cheaper than any where else online though they seem comparable to the outdoorshop.com.

The trek in Nepal is not really Bushcraft related (unless the hunt for Dhal Bhat and a Yak Steak count), but I will do a review of the kit I take just so that there is a wider selection of reviews on here.

PW

The Usual Disclaimer applies I don't work for any of these companies blah blah blah Brrrrrrrrrrr I can't believe I really doing this !

Piers

Aug 22, 2005
Jersey
I have to agree with P Wren about Peter Hutchinson Designs.
Have been using their Piqolo sleeping bag this summer - great bag!
Tiny pack size and only weighs about a pound!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE