Has anyone actually eaten Mugwort ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was watching a video of a Japanese fellow making rice cakes (we're veggie, Son2 can't eat gluten, I keep an eye out for interesting recipes) and he used Mugwort to make the rice paste that forms the outside of the 'cake'.

Now I use mugwort, but it's a smudge thing. It's a firestarter, it's an insecticidal smoke, it's very good when the blasted midgies descend, :mosquitos: but I'd never thought of eating it.
With TeeDee on a culinary crusade to forage his way through the countryside a la cordon verte, I thought I'd ask before I pointed him at the recipe :)

Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Nope, I haven't :) - like you I've always assumed its antiseptic and insect repellent properties would make it a bit too 'medicinal'. It's used as an aid to digestion and is reputed to improve appetite. Johnathon Hilton considers it to be very bitter and to use sparingly raw in salad - he also quotes the use by the Japanese in rice.

This, by the way, is one of the many plants advised not to be taken if pregnant because of the thujone content (very low).

Reactions: Toddy and TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did wonder; Japanese and Chinese sticky rice cake things always leave me a little confused anyway. They're inclined to be a bit like eating too big a bit of Turkish delight, iimmc ?
I think I might give this one a body swerve :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE