Hardtack recipe's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
BlueTrain - sorry I missed your questions earlier, but it seems you've had them answered:)

I found the recipe on this forum, it was a thread [titled something like] "your favourite trail snack". Looked good so I copied and printed to try at home.

All I know is was apparently made for soldiers [by their wives] and sent out during WWI as the ingredients kept well and had a high energy content.

My wife made a batch with dried dates, cranberries, cherries, raisin, almonds, cashew and brazil nuts - [I think she was trying to empty the cupboards] needless to say they barely had enough time to cool down, let alone go off!

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
The Anzac biscuit was a huge hit at home (few of my experiments are) and the recipe has already been copied and distributed.

The batch made a square of about eight or nine inches. It might be possible to make them into little cakes so you don't have to slice them. Also, it seemed like it was important to compress the mixture when you put it on the baking sheet so they won't come out so crumbly. But granola bars are also crumbly but rather harder than this stuff. Another plus is that although it is a little greasy or oily, it wouldn't melt, or so I think, which is an important factor for at least half the year. Anything with chocolate is great but it makes a gooey mess in the summertime.

Thanks again for the recipe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE