Happy St David's Day!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Pleased to be able to report that our local Sainsbury's, just outside Oxford, had completely sold out of daffodils this morning.

Madame put this down to solidarity with our Welsh neighbours. Me, I reckoned it was their usual poor stock control.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Pleased to be able to report that our local Sainsbury's, just outside Oxford, had completely sold out of daffodils this morning.

Madame put this down to solidarity with our Welsh neighbours. Me, I reckoned it was their usual poor stock control.

None in Chichester yesterday, loads today, so I’m with you.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
What is going on with the Google front page. Looks more like a Chinese red dragon than a Welsh one.

st-davids-day-2020-6753651837108303.2-law.gif

Reactions: Nice65

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Speaking of Daffs, who has native ones growing locally?

We have what looks like native ones growing in our woodland here in Devon but I'm not sure if they would be real native ones or introduced native ones.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere

We have what looks like native ones growing in our woodland here in Devon but I'm not sure if they would be real native ones or introduced native ones.

Can't find daffodils for love nor money these days, it is all narcissuses (sp)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Actually, it seems it's very hard to tell.

Native daffodils (Narcissus pseudonarcissus) is a relatively small plant up to 35cm tall (cultivated ones can be up to 50cm) and should have paler primrose-yellow petals with a darker corona (trumpet). So, in the photos below (taken today) the first lot are almost certainly cultivars and the second lot are more likely to be native but are probably not :) There are 11 groups of daffodils, and about 16 species or cultivars currently 'growing wild' in the UK.

TG5P3020022 - 2056 - 25.jpg

TG5P3020025 - 2 - 2056 - 25.jpg

Code 4

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2020
Shrewsbury
I planted a row of 25 Tenby Daffodils last autumn. Not yet quite blooming but they are in a row of about 300 so I will struggle to pick them out !

Code 4

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2020
Shrewsbury
Ah, Tenby Daffodils (Narcissus obvallaris) are a naturalised species with the petals and the corona the same colour. I think it only grows wild in West Wales.
Got mine online at Boston Bulbs. OOS at the moment of course but they will be available later in the year. We are always a month behind everyone up in the hills!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE