Handled some knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
Hi folks,

I picked up a couple of dirt cheap mora carving knife blades and fancied a go at making some handles for them out of some fresh apple wood that a neighbour had given me.

Nothing too fancy for a first attempt, I simply filed the tang down to a more uniform shape, clipped their length and hammered them into a cut block of wood before carving and sanding them down.

These fit my banana hands so much better than the standard mora handles.

rOIcyn9.jpg

I've also knocked up a sheath for one, it's more of a desk tidy than a sheath - I bored a whole into another billet and carved the mouth to accommodate the finger guard of the smaller carving knife and shaped it's profile.

LPfrH8c.jpg

It keeps it upright on a work bench, safe in a bag and the fit is good and tight :)

Last edited:

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
After oiling the knives, I used them alongside my new drawknife to whittle my boy a Baby Bush Blade Last night - obviously high carbon, curly birch and mammoth ivory (in his toddler imagination)
uk3d5Xd.jpg

He put it to good use gutting a piece of wild marmite on toast

kHaHHMh.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE