Hand made knife - recommendations please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 7, 2021
South Wales
Good afternoon all,

I'm in the market for a hand made bushcraft knife and looking for suggestions please? I have been keeing an eye on the Jacklore camp knife but never sem to catch one for sale.

Open to reccomendations on a quality wooden handle bushcraft knife

Thanks
Meirion

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you also looked at the forum Edge Matters? Its knife specific and you might find more knives for sale there. You have to register to view, and you have to be a paid member in order to purchase, as opposed to here where you only need paid membership to sell. Still, I think it would be worth your while to register and have a look.

You say "bushcraft" but the Jacklore Camp Knife is aimed at more chopping and prying than it is to carving or food slicing. Do you know what sort of thing you want the knife to do? If you say you want it for general bushcraft, then I would look at something 4" long with a 3 to 3.5mm thick blade.

What sort of budget were you thinking of?

Chris

Reactions: Meirion658
Mar 7, 2021
South Wales
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you also looked at the forum Edge Matters? Its knife specific and you might find more knives for sale there. You have to register to view, and you have to be a paid member in order to purchase, as opposed to here where you only need paid membership to sell. Still, I think it would be worth your while to register and have a look.

You say "bushcraft" but the Jacklore Camp Knife is aimed at more chopping and prying than it is to carving or food slicing. Do you know what sort of thing you want the knife to do? If you say you want it for general bushcraft, then I would look at something 4" long with a 3 to 3.5mm thick blade.

What sort of budget were you thinking of?

Chris

Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it Chris, I'm after an all rounder really but with a slightly more emphasis on the chopping and prying side of things. I am willing to spend up £300 on a good quality knife

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Just a thought but YOU could make a great knife yourself with a kit such as the Brisa/Enzo Trapper or such like, which come in various steels and levels of completion....

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Here you go

I can highly recommend Rob as I’ve had one but there are others in the Makers Market on here such as Stew etc..

Mar 7, 2021
South Wales
Here you go

I can highly recommend Rob as I’ve had one but there are others in the Makers Market on here such as Stew etc..
He just down the road from me as well will have a look now Thank you so much

Reactions: mikehill and scruff

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
In the interest of economics and domestic harmony, I would strongly advise against making a knife yourself from a kit! Its a dangerous path to start down!!:lmao:

Jimmy Pie

Alan Wood,

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Good afternoon all,

I'm in the market for a hand made bushcraft knife and looking for suggestions please? I have been keeing an eye on the Jacklore camp knife but never sem to catch one for sale.

Open to reccomendations on a quality wooden handle bushcraft knife

Thanks
Meirion

Hi M ,

Can I please enquire how long have you been Bushcrafting ( messing around in the woods ) and what knives you have experience of using so far ?

Cheers Buddy.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Buy a kit and build it up. You'll enjoy every task in service.
I expect that you will find the first 5 or 6 awkward to make.
Then the rest of them will be quite straight forward.

Mar 7, 2021
South Wales
Hi M ,

Can I please enquire how long have you been Bushcrafting ( messing around in the woods ) and what knives you have experience of using so far ?

Cheers Buddy.
Having been bought up on a farm with acers of woodland and being a qualified butcher in the past I would like to think that my knife skills and knowledge of messing around in the woods is ok

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Having been bought up on a farm with acers of woodland and being a qualified butcher in the past I would like to think that my knife skills and knowledge of messing around in the woods is ok

In that case I would intend to agree and meant no offence by my very genuine question. Obviously I do not know you.

I merely asked as if you were a young newbie with hard saved money burning in their young pocket but not much knife time I would have advised maybe getting a few cheaper knifes to whale upon and practice ones knife skill with.

I'd hate to think of someone dropping a largish chunk of money on a custom knife then start battoning it in such a fashion it breaks the tip , rolls the edge etc etc .

Please let us know what knife is finally commissioned for you!

I look forward to seeing it :)

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do you wish a very individual knife?
A special one?
Or just a very good and very nice one?

The industrial made knives are far cheaper of course, but often very good too.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
In that case I would intend to agree and meant no offence by my very genuine question. Obviously I do not know you.

I merely asked as if you were a young newbie with hard saved money burning in their young pocket but not much knife time I would have advised maybe getting a few cheaper knifes to whale upon and practice ones knife skill with.

I'd hate to think of someone dropping a largish chunk of money on a custom knife then start battoning it in such a fashion it breaks the tip , rolls the edge etc etc .

Please let us know what knife is finally commissioned for you!

I look forward to seeing it :)
I have broken the tip off a few knives before now, the latest being a spyderco, which I have now filed into sommat that almost looks right. I do wish I had paid more attention to my metalwork lessons at school, because to tell you the truth my file work leaves a bit to desire, but at the end of the day being able to botch whilst it might not make you a maker, is useful to rescue stuff you have abused. I never learn though, I recently purchased a Breughel Messer from Todd Cutler and I am going to have fun abusing it.

Reactions: TeeDee

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do you know for example Casström?

Or Brisa?

Or TBS knives?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE