Hammocks & whoopie slings!

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
steve_t and I decided to have a go at hammock making and utilising our new found whoopie sling skills have made this simple no sew hammock!
5d604cb7-1322-8520.jpg

Fabric: 3m £3.30, waterproof nylon.
Amsteel equivalent Dyneema Throwline (2mm, 450kg breaking strain) £3 for 6 meters!

As you can see from the pic we've added beads to stop the sling closing over itself.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Excellent, but you're going to sweat like a pig in that. You're also going to be swimming in a big puddle if any rain gets past your tarp and runs down the whoopies into the hammock. The waterproof nylon would be put to much better use as a tarp (or part of a tarp) and try and find some parachute nylon for the hammock, at least that will let any water out and dry quickly.

Eric

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Excellent, but you're going to sweat like a pig in that. You're also going to be swimming in a big puddle if any rain gets past your tarp and runs down the whoopies into the hammock. The waterproof nylon would be put to much better use as a tarp (or part of a tarp) and try and find some parachute nylon for the hammock, at least that will let any water out and dry quickly.

Eric

Wotcha Eric, nah it'll be fine, open top and in a sleeping bag I'm sure it'll be warm snug and dry

Redwall

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
My big question about Whoopie slings is what happens when rain runs down the line? I've got a DD and I was considering doing either a carabiner mod, with 10m or so of webbing on each end, or fitting whoopie slings with a toggle. I'm concerned that with trees a good length apart the toggle won't end up under the tarp and rain will be able to run down my amsteel and get my delicate skin moist.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My big question about Whoopie slings is what happens when rain runs down the line? I've got a DD and I was considering doing either a carabiner mod, with 10m or so of webbing on each end, or fitting whoopie slings with a toggle. I'm concerned that with trees a good length apart the toggle won't end up under the tarp and rain will be able to run down my amsteel and get my delicate skin moist.

I use a couple of ally rings between my whoopies and a 12" fixed loop. Carabiners will do the job too

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
You'll get condensation from your body perspiring. Ever slept with one of those emergency blankets? Similar to that.

Is that an overhand knot on each end? You should be able to just gather the ends and whip them, if you look on justjeffs website it explains it well. Might make for a better lie.

Cool hammock!

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've had the DD Travel hammock on which I've added whoopie slings... here are a few of my findings after over 25 nights out so far this year in all kinds of weather, here in France, from very hot & humid, cool and misty to torrential rain storms. (Yep we've had it all this summer).

1) Despite what I have read about condensation in this hammock, with a thermorest mat in place I've had hardly any condensation at all. Some around my feet from time to time..(but my bag it has a sewn in nylon foot box for use with shoes). I use a centre zipped military bag turned over quilt style... works well and is warm. Note: I always sleep dressed, usually my Kiwi trousers with a T-shirt and fleece.

2) I use the whoopie slings and 1 inch webbing around the tree, with a marlin spike hitch to attach the whoopie. I spent two nights last week where it rained heavily all night. Not one drop of water got near the hammock. The water ran down the straps and was diverted by the toggle and marlin spike hitch. Also there is the excess of the amsteel after the bury where the chord is tightened, that again diverts rain down to the floor.
The amsteel soaks up no water so any excess runs off... the webbing does take on some but is close weave so again most runs off, in this case to the ground.
3) Finally on the set up, I try to make sure the toggle sit just under the tarp, so no water hits the whoopie direct. As I say been dry all summer.

Most comfy camping I've ever done.

cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE