Hammocks and homebrew. Worse ways to spend a day

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Just to share with you my pretty fine day. Lying in my hammock "testing it" with a nice ginger and chilli cider on the hottest day of the year. Any other homebrewers here?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Sounds like a good day, don't normally drink alcohol but that ginger and chilli homebrew sounds nice

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Surprisingly refreshing. Only coming off at about 2.8% but loads of flavour. Like a firey ginger beer

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
definitely sounds nice, the lower alcohol levels makes it even more appealing to a t-totaller like myself, i used to enjoy a micro brewery cider/ale back in the youth

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Especially on a day like today with frost on the outside of the bottle or in a tall glass with loads of ice

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Give me a can of lager and I wouldn't use it to cool my feet. Hand me a bottle of decent ale and you'll have my full attention. I do a few none alcoholic "brews" like dandelion and burdock and my lasses favourite ovingham champagne. It's made from foraged berries herbs and flowers from whittle Dean in ovingham. Nothing finer on a hot day. Less than .5% alcohol so even the ankle biter can have a sip!

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
These days the closest i get to alcohol is an over ripe water mellon

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Could you not be tempted by one of my smoked stout infused pickled eggs? Lol. My missus makes me eat them in the kitchen she can't even stand the smell

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It doesn't sound like my snack, i've never even managed to taste a regular pickled egg they just conjure that image of the cloudy jar half full on every chippy counter top when i was a kid

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Aye I think many people see them like that. My grandmother is German and pickles EVERYTHING so I suppose it's a childhood trauma that turned out to be an adult treat. Although I still loathe sauerkraut

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Thats the wierd thing here i love eggs and i love pickles, like a bacon n egg n piccalilli stotty is a little wedge of heaven to me but i'v never been able to make myself try a picled egg

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
I do all my own brews from 4 ingredients. I tend to go for light session ales and the hoppier the better.

The homebrew kit is all in the loft though so a brew day is a big commitment. Best on a cold day if you ask me. Save the drinking for days like thisun.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Ginger and chilli sounds ace, I like my beer around 8-9%, but I'm quite happy to drink old Jamaica or Goslings ginger beer lemonade .. even without a bottle of Ray & Nephew Rum.
I just took the last bag of sloe berries out of the freezer on Sunday, anything over a week old is vintage in my book. :beerchug:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I do all my own brews from 4 ingredients. I tend to go for light session ales and the hoppier the better.

The homebrew kit is all in the loft though so a brew day is a big commitment. Best on a cold day if you ask me. Save the drinking for days like thisun.

I have a few simple standard ales and porters I like to make. But I'm the past few years have been making some out there brews. Some amazing and some not so. I'm more a dark beer man personally. My local pub landlord is saving me some yeast from a barrel of titanic plumb porter so that's the next one I feel

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Ginger and chilli sounds ace, I like my beer around 8-9%, but I'm quite happy to drink old Jamaica or Goslings ginger beer lemonade .. even without a bottle of Ray & Nephew Rum.
I just took the last bag of sloe berries out of the freezer on Sunday, anything over a week old is vintage in my book. :beerchug:

Brewdog has some really nice stronger beers. I don't mind the odd one but I wouldn't call them an all night drink. I reccomend sink the Bismarck if you like a VERY strong ale.
Wray and nephew is savage stuff that's for cleaning brushes man! Although my home distilled... Water. Is very good lol

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Just done my first all grain brew a month or so ago. I did a Heather ale for a Scottish friends wedding celebrations. Turned out alright and will only get better with a bit of age. Funnily enough I've just decided to start pickling eggs too! I was given some salt and vinegar flavour pork scratchings in a kilner-style jar. The scratchings lasted about 24hrs and I was left with the jar and I thought it's perfect for pickled eggs! I love em, always got one from the chippy when I was young, and a jar of mussels.
Lovely :D

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Just done my first all grain brew a month or so ago. I did a Heather ale for a Scottish friends wedding celebrations. Turned out alright and will only get better with a bit of age. Funnily enough I've just decided to start pickling eggs too! I was given some salt and vinegar flavour pork scratchings in a kilner-style jar. The scratchings lasted about 24hrs and I was left with the jar and I thought it's perfect for pickled eggs! I love em, always got one from the chippy when I was young, and a jar of mussels.
Lovely :D

Heather ale sounds like a very interesting tipple. I ha e a couple of 5 gallon batches on at the moment, banana bread ipa and an orange and corriander wheat beer. Both recommended to me by mates. I love a pickled egg with a pint I have to admit. And I'm not adverse to a bar of mussels either! Have a crack at infusing them with beer it comes out really well. Cheddar valley cider I've found to work the best

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Brewdog has some really nice stronger beers. I don't mind the odd one but I wouldn't call them an all night drink. I reccomend sink the Bismarck if you like a VERY strong ale.
Wray and nephew is savage stuff that's for cleaning brushes man! Although my home distilled... Water. Is very good lol
Sink the Bismarck, Ill look out for that one. Wray and Nephew yeah 63% it ain't shy stuff, cant get the original 150 proof anywhere, probable just as well. If you like a fine rum try Pyrat a stunningly smooth rum. There is a brewery up here that makes Heather Ale called Fraoch Scot's Gaelic word for Heather and very nice to, it's got brewed in Scotland since 2000BC on the bottle.
Quick story for you , just up the hill from here a old woman used to make tatte shaw wine, when asked if it was any good she said "yea the postie crashed his van" "wine", sound's more like Vodka to me. all the best Bro...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE