hammocking without trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

aelf

Mar 13, 2007
uk
I spent last weekend camping with 200 cubs and scouts in a field that didn't have any suitable trees for my hammock. So, I rigged this up using 4 ash poles, ash pegs and some 6mm nylon rope. It worked a treat and I had 2 great nights sleep! Also generated a lot of interest amongst other leaders and the scouts - might start a trend....
What do you think?

ps click the red cross to see the pics - don't know why they wont open in the box

aelf

Mar 13, 2007
uk
do you see pictures? all i see is two red crosses - i have to click them to see the pictures

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i think he means click on the 'x' in the pics that don't work. it links to them.

good work the aelf, i'm surprised they worked ok though, i thought the weight of someone in the hammock would pull them inwards?

aelf

Mar 13, 2007
uk
i think he means click on the 'x' in the pics that don't work. it links to them.

good work the aelf, i'm surprised they worked ok though, i thought the weight of someone in the hammock would pull them inwards?

Thanks - the rope is under a lot of tension and guyed out using three pegs in a line (see inset in the second pic). When i rigged it, i had the poles at more of an angle, then pushed the bottoms out to make them almost verticle and the rope became a lot tighter.
It took my weight easily (i'm average build).

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Not sure what's up with images lately.

i think you might need to link to the images themselves, rather than the page name:
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/1263/bashahammock2rq2.jpg

bashahammock2rq2.jpg
bashahammock1yo7.jpg

rather than:
http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bashahammock2rq2.jpg

Yep that seems to work for me.
Just right click on your images and then "properties", then copy the "location" ( in FireFox anyway, similar on Internet Explorer tho)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Goodness, you would be vulnerable to the passer by tripping over your guys!

Could you put a stout pole between the tops of the 2 A frames and then direct your guys inwards instead?

aelf

Mar 13, 2007
uk
Could you put a stout pole between the tops of the 2 A frames and then direct your guys inwards instead?

Yes, I could have but It would have meant another pole to carry. Also, I was tucked away in a corner, so no passers by. My mate and I were looking at a few designs for the set up, using just two poles etc, one had all guys pulling inwards, but we had no spare time to try rigging them. Next time......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE