Hammocking on Isle of Arran

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Anyone Hammock camped on the Isle of Arran ? I am hoping to complete the Isle of Arran Coastal Path in April this year and would very much like to use my hammock.
Looking at the OS 50K maps it looks as though there's plenty of small copses around the Northen shoreline and some good plantation areas in the south.
It would be nice however to have someone who's been there confirm that it is 'doable'.

Over to you guys...

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
East and South coasts, no problem. Lots of coves between villages where you're out of sight and plenty of woodland.
Quite a few of the campsites(if you're that way inclined) are tent/caravan-based and are little more than fields but Corrie, Glen Rosa(maybe) and Kings Cross have wooded edges if I remember right.
North-East coast has some pretty big gaps in it's vegitation and little in the way of other features for hammock hanging, but Cock of Arran to Corrie is only a days walk so if you camp one side of the gap it'll not be a problem.
South-west coast might be a bit awkward. A lot of it is cliffs and not much woodland. You may have to head inland of an evening to find somewhere to set up in the forestry or pick a gully and get creative with your fixing points.
North-west has a nice little strip of old woodland running along much the roadside that is deep enough in places to wander to the other side of for the night.

One thing worth a mention, Arran's a high tourist population place which can increase the "bloody tourists think they can come over here and do what they like :rolleyes: " philosophy. It's also such a popular hiking area that there are a lot of folk there camping.
My only advice would be the usual, get out of sight and keep the fires small. None at all if you're in forestry commission.

It'll be an great walk, the coast itself is fascinating. If you aren't interested in geology when you set off, you will be when you come away after all the weird stuff you trip over.
Pre-midgie-season too :D .

PS. Never hammocked myself but have camped all over. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Enjoy :) Have a look on the beach at Brodick too. Arran pitchstone was much used in antiquity for many of the purposes that flint was. It makes excellent blades and edged tools.
Cheers,
Toddy

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Thanks for the very useful post Grooveski. I had my suspicions about the south coast cos of the cliffs shown on the map. Are there many safe ascent points along these cliffs or are there long stretches between ?
Fires wont be a problem since I'm planning to take a Trangia on this trip. Does the Island still get busy in early April ?

Thanks everyone - am looking forward to it and you can rely on me sampling the malts ! After all it's an insult to ignore good advice !

Kev

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Imachar Point - Just over a mile of rough rock coast with a just a bit in the middle where you can come out. Tide hits the cliff.
Drumadoon - Set off as the tide's going out and expect to kill at least an hour exploring caves. More rocky going. There's various ways out but only north of kings caves and they're all steep.
Bennan Head - Tide never hits the cliff face so you can always walk along. Would be a bit of a clamber with a pack on to climb out, I've always gone along the coast to go climbing. You're down there from Kildonan to Torrylin and if you have a pair of climbing shoes and a chalk bag, make room for them because there is some of the finest bouldering to be had anywhere along there. There's nothing like a sand(or water :) ) landing to inspire confidence.

The pitchstone Toddy mentioned is just above the shore immediately below the high point at Dun Fionn, and runs to the sse and off out to sea. When you see the low 4m cliff made of black glass, you'll know you're there, the hut-sized chunk on the coast is another good marker ;) .

The Island get busy all the time. There are folk who are avoiding midges, folk who are avoiding other folk, folk who just like the place in the spring and folk who aren't fussed about any of the above or anything else. There will be local folk who walk the same stretch of coast every morning, work the land or are out adventuring themselves.
If you can make it round without meeting two minibuses full of geology students I'll be gobsmacked. There won't, however, be nearly as many folk as later in the year when the midgies need fed so it's a good time to do it.

You may not meet a soul the whole way round :D . All I'm saying is that it's not a particularly empty chunk of Scotland.

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Haven't been on a rope for years and my boulderings not up to much now but it'll be nice to see what I missed up there !

Thanks once again for all the info.

Kev

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
For those of you who kindly replied to my original query and for anyone else who may be interested, here's a short report on the effectiveness (or not) of my hammocking setup during a recent backpacking trip to the Isle of Arran.

Three of us took six days to walk the official Coastal Way path including a few small excursions to points of interest so I guess we walked a total of around 70 miles. Keeping the daily mileage down to around 12 miles meant we had plenty of time to chat to locals, take small detours to points of interest and enjoy the stunning scenery.The Coastal Way is a relatively new path and as such there are still lengthy sections that have not been walked sufficiently to provide an obvious route. The terrain can be very rugged varying from steep paths (Goat Fell), to tussocky and marshy grass (ankle twisters) to sandy beaches to bouldered beaches some of which need to be 'scrambled'. The Coastal way is a very beautiful and worthwile walk.

As for the hammocking. Two of us were equipped for hanging whilst the third used a conventional tent. Us 'hangers' managed to find suitable spots 4 nights out of the 6. The main problem was not so much a lack of trees but finding somewhere that was sheltered from the typical Scottish weather (strong winds and driving rain followed by strong winds and bright sunshine!) We really did want to avoid waking up to find the hammock tarp 'spinnakering' up the hill!
Effectively this mean't getting a few yards into a reasonably dense wood.

showphoto.php

Although studying the map before we departed showed that there were plenty of 'green' patches around the island, in reality it needs to be more than that. We found that some of the coniferous areas were relatively young and the trees here were too close together and had a lot of growth close to the ground - no good for hammocks but provided you had a pad (we did) and not an underquilt then you could 'go to ground' under the tarp. A few armfulls of bracken also helped here.
The other major problem for 'hammocketeers' is that many of the wooded areas on the west of the island consist of widely spaced, mossy covered and often rotten silver birch on steep ground.
With the strong prevailing wind coming from the West and accelerating up the steep ground through the trees, there was very little shelter between them. Again this led to us having to tarp camp in a sheltered hollow out of the wind.

showphoto.php

I have spent a fair few nights out over the preceeding few months experimenting with my winter hammocking setup and had finally arrived at what I thought was a workable solution before we left. This consists of a Hennessy Expedition Asym with Hex Fly, homemade snakeskins for the fly only, Marmot Helium sleeping bag used as a quilt over a full length thermarest with a homemade pad extender. A homemade pertex 'undershell'is slung beneath the hammock.
The end of day procedure used was to setup tarp and hammock with undershell attached, stretch spare fleece pullover and ventile jacket over ends of thermarest to act as wicking layer, then feed thermarest into pad extender and wrestle the whole lot into the hammock. Then stuff waterproofs etc into undershell to provide 'dead air'space and decrease temperature gradient below me in an effort to reduce condensation on the sleeping pad.
Previous experiments showed that the 'dead air' space in the undershell definitely reduces condensation on the pad.

The first night was spent just below the treeline on Goat Fell and the temps must have dropped below freezing since there was ice in the platypus that morning, However, I was 'roasty' all night and even had to push back the quilt at one point. So at this time I was happy with the comfort and warmth of my setup. However as the week progressed I began to temper my resolve about hammocks being the best solution for this trip.

By the end of the trip I had concluded a few things about the suitablilty of hammocks for backpacking in the early season UK climate.
Firstly I noted that our 'tenter' was always 'covered and cooking' before us 'hangers'. Although we often had the tarp and hammock strung before he had erected the tent, we then had to make final adjustments for leveling and tarp alignment before adding pad setups and undershields etc. This is obviously a seasonal problem and would not be as relevant during warmer periods. However I found I was wishing for a much 'simpler' setup when tired at the end of the day and on the colder days it would have been nice to crawl into a warm sleeping bag and cook from here rather than sit in the hammock and still be exposed to a cold breeze.
Secondly, although it is not difficult to find places to string a hammock, it is much more difficult to find places to string a hammock AND be protected from the sort of weather Scotland can throw at you.
Lastly - weight. The weight of the entire winter setup was 6lb 15 oz - this includes undershell, pad extender and all pads. I know Hennessy sell much lighter hammocks and alternative tarps and underquilts are available but I hadn't the knowledge about winter hammocking when I first purchsed the Expedition and the weight then seemed reasonabale. I have experimented withh CCF pads instead of a full length Thermarest but I cant get the same comfort level and they move around alot more inside the hammock - even using the pad extender sleeve.
I cant justify the expense of a down underquilt at present and would not have been confident on this trip without a pad since this gave me the flexibility to go to ground.So weight wise I certainly wasn't gaining anything over a conventional tent and pad setup.
That said, it is the comfort and freedom of a hammock that I enjoy.

On the occasions when we did go to ground I felt that the tarp alone was much quicker and easier to setup as well as allowing a much greater scope of sites. Although I've done plenty of tarping in the past I shall now be looking more seriously at a tarp and bivvy bag combo as a lighter and more effective sleep system for 3 season backpacking.
As well as suiting my 'simple and functional' style of backpacking, the tarp setup should save me more weight by using less components overall and allowing me to revert to a CCF pad.

I'd just like to add that the views cited above are based purely on personal experience and I would be the first to admit that individuals need to experiment for themselves to find which techniques suit their activity styles.

At present I'm now using the Hennesy Hex fly as my tarp but am considering the Golite Cave 1 - anyone any experience with these ?

Reactions: Toddy

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Excellent trip report!
I'd be interested to see more piccies of your homemade undershell and pad extender. Sounds like you had fun.

Odie

Sep 23, 2004
Essex, UK
thnks for the report Kev.

I am intending to try hammocking around the Black Isle region in July and though temperature wont be a real problem, the setup issues have given me cause for thought. I usually go to ground under a tarp but thought hammocking would be a more comfortable option.

I will still be taking my 3/4 thermarest just in case. ;)

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
A hammock is certainly more comfortable than the ground! My main issue was the time taken to get a cold weather hammock system up at the end of a tiring day and the time taken to find a sheltered site for it.
These issues may well have been less prevalent in another area during the warmer months. I just felt afterwards that a good tarp setup would be far more versatile.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
that was great i may try that walk myself as im in ayrshire at present for at least the next few weeks

whats the island like for lighting fires or is it best to take the stove ?

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
I took a Trangia burner and Clikstand on this trip since I was in 'backpacking' mode rather than 'bushcraft' mode.
Using a fire on the foreshore areas I would not think a problem - plenty of driftwood etc. However for a fire inland I would offer the same advice as most - that is keep fires small, discreet, sensibly sited and ensure there is no trace afterwards.

Do it. You wont regret it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE