Hammock & Tarp material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
Sorry if this has been asked before but i looked and cud`nt see so i`m asking,
just looked at the site Scanker posted www.pointnorth.co.uk and it got me thinking i could make my two lads a hammock and tarp each but theres so much material listed i wud`nt no which was the best to use so was hopeing if anyone gets chance to look at the site they could advise me on material for hammocks and for tarps,Or would it work out cheaper to get two nomad hammocks and two ex army bash`s, any advice will be greatly welcomed.
Sean
ps GREAT SITE

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I would say pertex 6 would be good for hammocks very strong but light weight. Do you have a sewing machine? How old/big are the lads? While the hammocks with a good machine would be relitively easy the tarps would be a lot of work taped edges all round a centre tape the hoops etc then sealing all seams to reatain waterproofing.
Dave.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Agreed, pertex would be good for the hammock. (BTW, the manufacturers went into liquidation a while back, so are they still making pertex?). Silicon Coated Ripstop would be ideal for the tarp, but is a tad expensive.

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
the lads are 7 and 10 , my mother used to be a machinist so if it`s for the grandkids she wont hesitate in doing the work :) . cheers for the replys.
sean

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Glad to have inspired you Trikey.

Have a look at http://www.imrisk.com/ - there's loads and loads of hammock information.

Specifically, you might be interested in:
http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammockkit.htm

IMO pertex might be a bit lightweight for a hammock and I'd be tempted to go for standard ripstop nylon. I might be wrong though - I'm basing my opinon on a Montane windproof shirt I have. Pointnorth will send samples if you ask.

To add some info on tarps. I have a Hennessy, and the tarp is silnylon. If that's the same as Silicon Elastomer Ripstop that Pointnorth sell, it's £8.95/m and I guess you'd need a minimum of two at least. By the time you've added in webbing loops or eyelets for guyropes, you'd probably be better off with Army bashas for about £25 each. Alternatively at the bottom of the list of breathable fabrics on Pointnorth is Breathable Nylon #PU5 at £3.95/m. You could get a sample and see what you think. I've ordered some in Forest green for the underquilt I'm (read "my wife is") making.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
scanker said:
I've ordered some in Forest green for the underquilt I'm (read "my wife is") making.

Any chance of a step-by-step Scanker?
I've seen the items on various websites but they are either massively in favour of and underquilt or massively in favour of a foam pad, with very little cross-over. I really don't know which advice to follow for our particular climate.

ATB

Ogri the trog

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Yep, no problems. I plan to take photos and explain what we did. We're loosely following the instructions at: http://www.kickassquilts.com/MakeTOC.html, but adapting the materials used for those I found at Pointnorth.

I ordered the stuff last weekend so I'm hoping it will be here in the next few days. I'd like to get it made before the nights get too warm and before my mates get their reindeer skins from the group buy!

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
There are several weights of pertex Scanker P6 being the heaviest same as used in the buffallo special 6 shirt I think a double layer would make a great hammock specially for kids. Light weight windproof,water resistant, easilly washable and very fast drying. I would doubt its strength only for the heaviest adult. but even then a double layer triple sewn one i'd risk. Trikey make sure mum sews extra reinforcing at the channel ends where the tapes exit.
Dave.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi All,

Does anyone have an alternate supplier for the iron on seam seal tape? The stuff from Pennine Outdoor looks good but at 45p a metre is going to be expensive for a tent project.

Thanks,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE