Hammock sleep mat - advice welcome

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 6, 2005
London
Just spent one of the least comfortable nights ever in my new Hennessy hammock. No criticism of the HH, which was great, but I overlooked the need for insulation underneath me. I'm now trying to concoct the perfect hammock sleepmat, having done a bit of research..
I have a silvery windscreen reflector which I'm going to velcro to a closed-cell foam mat. Obviously the reflective side will face up. My question is: should I have the reflector above the mat or below it?

I can't decide which. Anyone have any ideas?

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
If you're using a reflector and pad, the pad should go on top. I tried this idea, and found that they both still slid around on the slippery nylon of the hennessy.
Speer hammocks is now selling an add on for sleeping mats, which makes it wider at the shoulders and knees (where your body overpads the width of the pad). These look great. Go to www.hammockcamping.com and look around.
I personally use an underquilt from www.jacksrbetter.com
it is however very expensive, and you may not consider it worthwhile.... the upside is that it doubles as a warm coat.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I just use a standard Lightweight Thermarest mat and I have been fine down to -10. I was using two sleeping bags though with the mat sandwedged between them. When using one bag I believe the secret is to have the mat inside the bag. That way it does not keep slipping out from under the bag. I will be trying this on my next outing. My previous trips with the HH were all in really cold weather.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Sgt Rocks site:
http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html
has some good info. Many people in the US seem to like the Ridge Rest pads, same people who make Thermarest, but lighter weight. The concensus seems to be to go for the really big mat, which works out at about 24 inches wide and over 6 feet long. That can be trimmed in length and tapered at the foot end. The width at the shoulders is the important part.

Having tried the foam and mylar windshield reflector I have come to share the opinion voiced on the above site, that it is a load of bunk and isn't worth the time. I have used a partially inflated Thermarest with and without the reflector and couldn't tell any difference, except where my feet hung off the Thermarest and were up against the mylar. I ALWAYS get huge amounts of condensation on the mylar which soaks my bag and makes my feet freeze by morning. I suppose that you could use spray glue to laminate a space blanket to a thin closed cell pad, then sleep with the mylar side down, but the windshield thing seems pretty worthless to me.

I have just had one of Hennessey's under covers to play with, I am skeptical that it will be warm enough and am all lined up to get a wide Ridge Rest if it doesn't work out.

If you use a Thermarest, or Ridgerest pad, and can't find trees, you can pitch the hammock on the ground and still have a reasonably well padded night.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Yeah, others have had mediocre reports with the hennessy undercover too. did u get the kidney pads that go with it?
Maybe u could slide your gear and pack (if its a frameless one) in between for more insulation?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I think Tony uses a sheeps skin/fleece. All do I imagine it is heavy it is supposed to be quite good another option is a US phoncho liner. I have tried none of these but I ahve used my M65 jacket liner and pair of gloves under by my back side which worked well at 0degrees in conjunction with a normal foam mat. That worked well and it means carring nothing extra.

James

K

katesdad

Underquilts are really expensive, so unless you're a real kit head (no offence to those of you who are), try ebay or a surplus store for a US Army poncho liner. They run about £20 if you get lucky.

Folded in half lengthways gives loads of insulation, and the material dries quickly if it get wet (rain or condensation). Also packs pretty small, and is light as a feather. My favourite bit is that it doesn't contribute to 'colour pollution', though camo patterns aren't always the best thing to be seen with abroad, depending on where you are.

Come summer, you can use it on it's own. The added space and weight can be used for something important, like a small bottle of cognac.

Great bit of kit, I've been using them since 1969 in Viet Nam, must be on my 10th by now!!

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Hi Katesdad,
I assume you're talking about using the poncho liner as an unserquilt and not actualy under you in the hammock?

Mar 6, 2005
London
I knew this was the place to ask. Is there anything you guys can't help with!?

Part of the attraction of the HH is its light weight, which inclines me away from some of the heavier/bulkier solutions, although I do like the sound of sleeping on a sheepskin.

My latest brainwave, which I'm going to field test next weekend goes like this:
Reflective pad beneath a foam sleepmat with sleeping bag on top. Then slide the whole lot into a large fleece sleeping bag liner (Aztec £15.00). I reckon that ought to keep everything together. If it doesn't, I imagine the amount of flailing around will at least keep me warm. :)

I may also try a suggestion I read somewhere on the net which involves eyelets in opposite corners of the mat bungee'd to prussic knots on the ridge cord to keep things in place.

I'll report back with my findings.

K

katesdad

wentworth said:
Hi Katesdad,
I assume you're talking about using the poncho liner as an unserquilt and not actualy under you in the hammock?

I use a Pro Pod rather than a Hennessy (pure economics as I got it new for £25 on ebay), and have had many a good night's sleep with it.

I'm guessing you mean as an underquilt, yes, though the Pod doesn't have the 'emergency escape hatch' issue, so there's lots of alternatives.

The Pod wraps around you like a hammock and bivi bag all in one. It's more than enough on a hot night, and the poncho liner makes for a comfortable sleep down to about 15C, though I sleep warm, so that varies person to person.

I've used it with a poncho liner as an underquilt and SnugPak Antarctica down to -3 or -4C. Getting out of bed was hard (read:cold) but otherwise not a bad night's sleep.

Larry

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
katesdad said:
I've used it with a poncho liner as an underquilt and SnugPak Antarctica down to -3 or -4C. Getting out of bed was hard (read:cold) but otherwise not a bad night's sleep.
Having had awful experience with this bag I'd like to highlight what Larry said here - the Antarctica bag, rated at -50, was cold at -4 in a hammock. Out of a hammock it doesn't do much better. :rolleyes:

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
MagiKelly said:
When using one bag I believe the secret is to have the mat inside the bag. That way it does not keep slipping out from under the bag.

agree with u there. i've tryed my therma rest both inside and out but it only works the one way.

its got to be inside (for me) as i keep slipping off the dam thing if its outside. it also keeps a nice space for all that warm air between me and the bag, otherwise i just end up with cold spots on my shoulders/arms (poss' my fault for being broad though :eek: ).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE