half pint kelly/volcano style kettle

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I have a lovely one pint kelly kettle and am wondering if there is a smaller version operating on similar principles?

I've had some surgery and only have a 200ml stomach so have no need to boil as much as a pint. Also, I am back to cycle camping and a half pint kettle would fit on the frame easier.

Thanks for any help.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hi nobby,

I don’t know of a volcano kettle smaller than the 1 pint Kelly. My first (expensive) suggestion is to buy a 2 ½ pint Kelly with an accessory kit, then leave the actual kettle at home and use the small pan on the kettle’s fire pan (don’t have any info on the volume of the pan that comes with the accessory kit) that comes with the accessory kit to boil your water for a brew etc. This seems ideal, as it’s a method using equipment you’re familiar with, but as I’ve said it’s an expensive solution.

Second suggestion, is to have a look for one of these: http://www.wephaus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=124554

They had some a while back at Surplus & Adventure, but I believe they’re now out of stock. You could improvise something similar with a baked bean tin (known as a ‘hobo stove’) and something like the Crusader Cup or a small Zebra billy can.

That’s all I can think of in terms of stoves that ‘operating on similar principles’, by which I took that to mean using twigs and so forth for fuel.

If you’re prepared to consider other forms of fuel, there’s lots of excellent info on this site: http://zenstoves.net/

Best regards,
Paul.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Hi nobby,

I don’t know of a volcano kettle smaller than the 1 pint Kelly. My first (expensive) suggestion is to buy a 2 ½ pint Kelly with an accessory kit, then leave the actual kettle at home and use the small pan on the kettle’s fire pan
Second suggestion, is to have a look for one of these: http://www.wephaus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=124554
You could improvise something similar with a baked bean tin (known as a ‘hobo stove’) and something like the Crusader Cup or a small Zebra billy can.

That’s all I can think of in terms of stoves that ‘operating on similar principles’, by which I took that to mean using twigs and so forth for fuel.

If you’re prepared to consider other forms of fuel, there’s lots of excellent info on this site: http://zenstoves.net/

Best regards,
Paul.

Thanks for the help Paul

I swopped a 2.5 pint one to get the little one!
I have a home made hobo stove and a 750ml old Metabo billy and lid that work well together but the Kelly Kettle chimney is a lot more efficient.
That old Swiss Army stove might be the ticket although I've read, probably here, that they are unstable. NTW, that's usually easily sorted.
Anybody got one for sale?
I have a crusader cup and stove attachment and 58 pattern bottle mug and webbing pouch, but it is all bigger and heavier than I now need. Besides that, twigs come free :0)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Thanks for the help Paul...

No probs :)

...I swopped a 2.5 pint one to get the little one!..

Bum!

...I have a home made hobo stove and a 750ml old Metabo billy and lid that work well together but the Kelly Kettle chimney is a lot more efficient...

I think you'll find that the efficiency of the 'draw' on the chimney on the Kelly hard to beat, even if you did buy another 2.5 and the accessory kit, although you'd have the very thing you need in terms of size and weight, it won't be as efficient, due to less air (thus oxygen) being drawn over the flames in the fire pan without the chimney of the kettle on top, as I'm sure you realise.

...That old Swiss Army stove might be the ticket although I've read, probably here, that they are unstable. NTW, that's usually easily sorted.
Anybody got one for sale?...

I've got one (I bought it as a curiosity, and it's not for sale :p) and it seems that it's not much more than a glorified hobo, although it is ingenious, and it's probably no more unstable than the top heavy hobo. A hobo made from a larger can may be more stable.

... Besides that, twigs come free :0)

Indeed they do, and you don't need to carry your fuel with you.

The only other twig burning stove that I can think of is this one (Pocket Cooker):
http://www.countrytrader.co.uk/acatalog/Outdoor_Cooking.html

It packs down very small, is very robust, and hence somewhat heavy.

I guess it's the usual set of trade offs we all face when choosing kit.

Best regards,
Paul.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
No probs :)
The only other twig burning stove that I can think of is this one (Pocket Cooker):
http://www.countrytrader.co.uk/acatalog/Outdoor_Cooking.html

It packs down very small, is very robust, and hence somewhat heavy.

I guess it's the usual set of trade offs we all face when choosing kit.

Best regards,
Paul.

I bought a Nimblewill Nomad off a group buy and it is fantastic (incorporates a chimney) but heavy. OK for the canoe, less so for the bike.
Since my surgery I rarely eat anything cooked and only need to be able to boil smal amounts of water. If I can do that efficiently it would be good. If not, the hobo stove and old billy will serve. I've used a soup tin to make the stove and it is a pot belly shape. The Metabo billy is a tight fit in the top so it is a stable as these things can be. I alwaysput a mesh in the bottom of my hobo stove to support the fire and give draft under it. Also makes a handy platform for a hexy block.

Cheers

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I bought a Nimblewill Nomad off a group buy and it is fantastic (incorporates a chimney) but heavy. OK for the canoe, less so for the bike...

Thought of knocking one up from sheet titanium? Not sure how easy it is to get sheet titanium, though.

...Since my surgery I rarely eat anything cooked and only need to be able to boil smal amounts of water...

That sounds lousy, mate. Commiserations.

...I've used a soup tin to make the stove and it is a pot belly shape. The Metabo billy is a tight fit in the top so it is a stable as these things can be. I alwaysput a mesh in the bottom of my hobo stove to support the fire and give draft under it. Also makes a handy platform for a hexy block...

Nice work!

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
And if you get a sheet is it practical for the home handy man to work?

Nobby,
Having worked with sheet titanium in the aircraft industry, its a real pig to work by hand. It hold tiny burrs and cuts your fingers to pieces - the cuts take ages to heal and you end up with thick callouses which reduce your ability to do delicate tasks. If you can get hold of a piece cut to size, it shouldn't be too bad for a "one-off" so long as you're careful and wear gloves until you've polished all the cut edges.

ATB

Ogri the trog

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Nobby,
Having worked with sheet titanium in the aircraft industry, its a real pig to work by hand. It hold tiny burrs and cuts your fingers to pieces - the cuts take ages to heal and you end up with thick callouses which reduce your ability to do delicate tasks. If you can get hold of a piece cut to size, it shouldn't be too bad for a "one-off" so long as you're careful and wear gloves until you've polished all the cut edges.

ATB

Ogri the trog

That's interesting.
I know my limitations - GCE Metalwork - I can manage steel, tinplate, copper, brass and aluminium and I can join with rivets or brazing or silver soldering. Beyond that I am too old to learn!
Had an offer, on another thread, of a Swiss Army Stove from a kind bushcrafter so I'll probably be ok.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE