Gun sub section?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Was looking to ask some questions about guns and shooting and wasn't sure where to put them.

Not in the fair game as these are generic questions and not about killing animals.

I thought about in the kit and tools section but wasn't sure which area in there.

So my question is should / could there be a shooting section in the kit and tools area?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Guns are emotive, especially in schools and colleges, and images of them are contoversial.

That's why all such things end up in Fair Game.
We know that if anyone 'does' open Fair Game then they know there'll be images of dead things and weapons.

I know it can seem very pc, but we really have had problems with members opening the forum in public places and attraction unwanted attention.

The folks who are most likely to be able to help you are the same ones who regularly read Fair Game.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you have children at school ?

Ask their teacher how they'd feel about the children opening a page in class showing guns ?

Knives are perceived as tools, well we're trying really, really hard to get that across, and nowhere on the forum will you see images of someone using a knife as anything else.

There are loads of good images of rifles used for hunting, with the results, and what to do with them :) on the forum. Again, there are no images of guns in a negative light on the forum; they are simply ( not entirely, but in the main) shown in Fair Game, for the reasons already given.

Our own children might see nothing wrong with guns being used in bushcrafty situations, but threads opened among people who don't see them that way, causes real hassle sometimes :sigh:
The last report came from a member who opened up a thread during a break at work. A colleague passed by and he had to attend a review over the whole thing.
Personally I think that's overkill, but it's the reality of the situation.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Guns are emotive, especially in schools and colleges, and images of them are contoversial.

That's why all such things end up in Fair Game.
We know that if anyone 'does' open Fair Game then they know there'll be images of dead things and weapons.....

Sounds logical but couldn't the same thing be said of a subsection such as the OP suggested? After all, who would open a thread in such a subsection not expecting to see guns?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do you have children at school ?

Ask their teacher how they'd feel about the children opening a page in class showing guns ?....

I take it then that the game wardens (or whatever your equivalent game law enforcement officers are) don't visit the schools giving lectures on gun safety?

Not trying to be trite about it. It just seems that when such actions are taken by people with such subject knowledge and authority, acting in their official capacity, it goes a long way towards dispelling negative attitudes.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I take it then that the game wardens (or whatever your equivalent game law enforcement officers are) don't visit the schools giving lectures on gun safety?

Nope the hystericals have put paid to that. Shame - my school had its own rifle range and we took our own guns to school :)

Heaven forfend that children learn about useful tools though - guns or knives. Those inanimate objects might leap up and kill someone.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Nope the hystericals have put paid to that. Shame - my school had its own rifle range and we took our own guns to school :)

Heaven forfend that children learn about useful tools though - guns or knives. Those inanimate objects might leap up and kill someone.

I couldn't have put it better, Thank you :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Not trying to be trite about it. It just seems that when such actions are taken by people with such subject knowledge and authority, acting in their official capacity, it goes a long way towards dispelling negative attitudes.

Not really Santaman as its the UK not the USA; here gun ownership (although in the hundreds of thousands) is just not common place. Personally I love guns, was an active handgun shooter before the ban, but for many brits its just not something they really want (gun ownership that is). The thought of a firearm in the home is really an alien concept for the majority of Brits which is fine, their choice. For those here who want to own a firearm (bar pistols in general terms) the rules and regulations are not insurmountable and in fact straightforward so long as you've been a 'good boy'. I can no longer own a .22 pistol but can own a sniper rifle...the logic escapes me but hey ho we live with the rules we have.

resnikov

Not really Santaman as its the UK not the USA; here gun ownership (although in the hundreds of thousands) is just not common place. Personally I love guns, was an active handgun shooter before the ban, but for many brits its just not something they really want (gun ownership that is). The thought of a firearm in the home is really an alien concept for the majority of Brits which is fine, their choice. For those here who want to own a firearm (bar pistols in general terms) the rules and regulations are not insurmountable and in fact straightforward so long as you've been a 'good boy'. I can no longer own a .22 pistol but can own a sniper rifle...the logic escapes me but hey ho we live with the rules we have.

I recently applied for my shotgun licence and asked a close friend to countersign the form and they declined as they were not comfortable with gun ownership. Whilst I respect their views I was a little shocked. So kind of proves how alien guns can be to some.
I have since found someone else to countersign so now I just have to wait 4 months for the process to complete.

So

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!

Absolutly Red it really it dam silly nonsense.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Away say that in Dunblane and see the reaction you get. Or any primary school in the land.

resnikov's friend isn't unusual in his attitude; he's actually one of the majority. For all the positive comments, there are really very few places in the UK where gun ownership is considered 'normal'.
Shotguns I exclude from that in more rural areas, but handguns ? For all the 'facts' spouted by pro gun lobbies about criminals possessing them and the rest of the population left undefended, the actual figures do not show this. So much so that there is an enormous brouhaha on those few occasions when there is a firearms incident amongst a population of 65 million people
The opposite it true of knives; and yet almost all of us here use them, carry them, discuss their pros and cons. Yet knife crime in this country is a horrendous issue; even if mostly amongst a youthful male strata of that population.
Knife fight and the local police come and lift the opponents, and usually call an ambulance. Guns spotted and the helicopters are up, the searchlights are on, the roads are blocked and the police are bused in by the lorry load.
Just too alien to most folks.
Can't say I blame them tbh. There are a lot of numpties I'd dread to see allowed to have any 'right' to bear arms. Bad enough I know they can lay their hands on the bread knife :rolleyes:

However, back to the question of yet another sub forum; I don't see it happening tbh, but I'll flag the post and post it in the Mods for Admin to have a looksee. Many of the Mods shoot, so we'll see.

cheers,
Toddy

resnikov

I appreciate the reply Toddy and see where you are coming from. Happy to put the questions in the fair game section.

One of the reasons I asked was I don't like putting threads in the wrong section as I see that happens quite a lot. Maybe another section isn't required as a few people have trouble with the ones we already have :p

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Away say that in Dunblane and see the reaction you get. Or any primary school in the land.

resnikov's friend isn't unusual in his attitude; he's actually one of the majority. For all the positive comments, there are really very few places in the UK where gun ownership is considered 'normal'.
Shotguns I exclude from that in more rural areas, but handguns ? For all the 'facts' spouted by pro gun lobbies about criminals possessing them and the rest of the population left undefended, the actual figures do not show this. So much so that there is an enormous brouhaha on those few occasions when there is a firearms incident amongst a population of 65 million people.....

Give it time. You'll catch up.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We're actually hoping that you're country will catch up with us on this one Santaman2000 :)

I think in many ways, Resnikov, your request has some validity, but it'd probably end up a sub forum in fair game, and sure as eggs is eggs folks would get the hunting bit muddled up with the information on the guns bit :sigh: and Johan would be nagging at the Mods to keep an eye on it, folks would be reporting posts left, right and centre, and we'd be getting nippier and nippier about it......we'll see what the Boss and Admin decide though. Maybe it is time for this one :dunno: I've flagged it in the Mods anyway :)

Bushclass ? what bushclass? .....I'm writing out how to's on using an old jumper for hats and moccs just now :) Trying to find some soft leather to give better soles though.
Oh, and if you send me an address I'll post you one of these coffee mug things :) Photos up tomorrow.

Having taken the entire thread on a detour to Off Topic :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's that kicked into the long grass then :) how's the bushclass thing going. :p :D

:p
You're OT here :nana:

I thought the general thought about it was: go ahead with the curriculum, but BCUK will not be involved in awarding certificates or whatever.

I appreciate the reply Toddy and see where you are coming from. Happy to put the questions in the fair game section.

One of the reasons I asked was I don't like putting threads in the wrong section as I see that happens quite a lot. Maybe another section isn't required as a few people have trouble with the ones we already have :p

My thoughts exactly. People already struggle with the amount of forums or simply can't be :tapedshut and simply bung it in Bushcraft Chatter.

IMO we don't need another subforum. IMO we don't need any subforum, but a severe decrease in forums - for ease maybe everything merged into bushcraft chatter ... But that's another story ...

Guns, rifles, whatever fit perfectly in Fair Game. We don't do guns in the way they do in the US, so no need for such a forum I reckon. Besides I personally find it distracts from bushcraft and goes more into outdoor life in general. Though others may have different boundaries for their definition of bushcraft.

EDIT:

Oye! I don't nag! :p

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ooooh, *that* bushclass :rolleyes: I'm not doing it; I haven't been on bcusa in years.......where do you all get the time ??

Sorry Johan :eek: No, you're right; you just effortlessly remind me that we have more than ample sub forums and wouldn't it be good if folks could mind to post in the right ones more frequently.....though that might be a hint at me ? or was that the OT one ? :eek:
Sorry, that's a bit of a forlorn hope; how the hang folk manage to only have one conversation on the go totally confounds me :dunno:

:grouphug:
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE