Gumotex Palava Inflatable Canoe (Not a Kayak!) Rannoch to Dunkeld

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
Good video... I'd argue you're kayaking though. Sat not kneeling and using kayak not canoe paddle 😁

What is the difference between canoe and kayak? I'll reference a sit on kayak regarding open vs closed cockpits

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A kayak is generally considered to be a small boat with an enclosed hull, propelled by the means of a double bladed paddle and an opening or cockpit for the paddler (two such openings if a tandem boat.)They are also usually paddled with a detachable spraydeck to prevent water entering the boat.

A canoe on the other hand is by established tradition, almost exclusively open topped.( there are a few designs with decks, like the "Rob Roy" but like the sit on top, I'd consider these neither canoes nor kayaks!)

Sit on tops as already mentioned really are neither one nor the other and are spuriously labelled by all and and sundry for want of an accurate description.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Why spurious? A kayak is enclosed by spray deck and pilot. Completely enclosed it remains a kayak and its operation is described by Sit on Top or SOT which has become the name.

Lonewolf44

Jan 11, 2017
Poland
Im also thinking about a boat for myself, as I live very close to the sea and few rivers. After some research, if I would buy inflatable, it would definitely be gumotex, probably the one You linked. But despite to my location and price issues, I will probably buy a stiff canoe, not inflatable one.

rancid badger

As long as you're fit, strong and able enough to hump what, regardless of weight (unless you're talking sub 20kg), is a very awkward and potentially difficult lift, then a Canadian canoe definitely trumps an inflatable of any flavour. Assuming of course that you have somewhere to keep the boat, something to transport it and you don't need to keep weight down to a bare minimum (pack rafts, at a few kgs , can literally be carried in hiking backpacks but they're ridiculously expensive).

Gumotex would definitely be my recommendation as the entry level, to anyone wanting to get into inflatable canoeing or kayaking. They're excellent quality, very capable and serious boats and can take some very rough treatment.

Gumotex is sold in North America/Canada under the pseudonym; "Innova".

Sea Eagle, particularly the Explorer 380X is good but a bit wide for its length, while they also do a rather good "canoe" the "travel canoe" which I haven't had hands or eyes on yet but from video evidence and some fairly select reviews, appears to be very good. Sadly, anything from sea eagle that's worth having, suffers from typically over inflated trans Atlantic pricing, so pre-owned or 2nd hand is the way to go for me.

Enjoy your paddling, no matter what you choose to fall off or out of;)

Steve

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I used to have a similar one, made in the bad old days ( commie times) made by the same company. Excellent for short trips, some careful fishing. Slow and heavy to paddle. Unsinkable, as you are unlikely to puncture all the elements!
The only plus is that you can pack it in the boot of the car. Also easier to transport between the waters.
A rigid canoe is superior in all other aspects.
I am pleased they still make these though!

rancid badger

There are quite a few more advantages than that.

As far as modern Gumotex goes; they are light, the Palava coming in at 17kgs can easily be picked up and carried on the shoulder when inflated(still a lump when it's packed mind you) and I can certainly paddle it faster and straighter with a single blade paddle, than a Mad River Explorer 14, Old Town Pack or Discovery 158 and it fairly zips along with a kayak paddle.

Add to that the fact that its almost silent in use, (whereas every "real" canoe or kayak I've ever paddled, bangs like an oil drum if the paddle brushes it) and that makes it ideal for getting close to wildlife or any other situation where you need to proceed quietly( I can think of lots of such occasions but I used to sneak about and get paid for it so..:eek:......)

If you check out my YouTube channel ( mrstalch) you can get a feel for how the boat performs in more sedate conditions, rather than barreling down toothy white water.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
They are much lighter than a rigid canoe, but not as quick. My easiest to paddle and quickest was an aliminium Grumman.

Yes,Gumotex is nice and silent. Never scared birds away untill you were really close. Wonderful for observing birds! The Grumman was like a drum through a loud speaker. Snd dented easily. Double weight almost.

Does the Gumotex come with a carrying bag shaped like a backpack these days? The old one did, so was easy to transport.

rancid badger

They are much lighter than a rigid canoe, but not as quick. My easiest to paddle and quickest was an aliminium Grumman.

Yes,Gumotex is nice and silent. Never scared birds away untill you were really close. Wonderful for observing birds! The Grumman was like a drum through a loud speaker. Snd dented easily. Double weight almost.

Does the Gumotex come with a carrying bag shaped like a backpack these days? The old one did, so was easy to transport.

Yes it does indeed but in spite of the whole lot only weighing only about 20kgs all up, I really wouldn't want to ( and don't!) carry it more than maybe 100-200 meters in its pack. At least not carrying like a backpack. It's reasonable carried on the shoulder like a sack or by the grab handle but terrible otherwise and I've regularly carried 38kgs plus for a lot of miles over rough terrain back in the day, while working part time for HM Forces, so I know how to carry heavy loads.;)
The pack is one of the few let downs with the "deal" but a minor one in practical terms for me at least, although it certainly makes for neat and fairly compact storage and you can use it to stuff your kit inside to protect it from rain and paddle splashes too. ( though not immersion)

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yrs, I do recall it was cumbersome to carry.
I replaced it only because of my fishing, the hooks used to get caught in the fabric ( but no punctures) and were tricky to get loose. Also the fish slime and blood was difficult to wash out.

Apart from those two ( for me) begatives it is very useful!

The longest trip I did in it was down the Dala älven in Sweden, maybe 150 kilometers in all. Rapids, portaging, the lot.

Worked well going with the stream, not do well going up it.

Does the current model have some kind of keel? Mine did not, so was easiest to paddle using a cayak paddle.

Edit: yes, keel and rudder can be bought, plus lots of other stuff.

Last edited:

rancid badger

Mine doesn't at the moment and to be honest, the sort of stuff I've paddled doesn't really need it. I've got/had some ideas about doing the Shiel Circuit and I'd probably fit a keel fin for that but it probably won't happen;)

Heres mine with a single blade, just pottering along on Ullswater
[video=youtube;Yy4Lk0EXXxs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy4Lk0EXXxs[/video]
Happy days!

cheers

Steve

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE