Growing your own Saffron?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tbh I live next to a nature walk and if there's a beast that'll eat something in my garden, it's here. Nothing eats the crocus but the sparrows pull the yellow flowers off. No idea why :dunno: they don't touch the blue or purple ones at all.

If each wee bulb can be coaxed to grow five or six flowers, that's two bulbs worth per meal.....and that's a lot of saffron :)
I'm fond of the stuff and use if quite a lot, it's the labour costs that make it expensive but I'll not mind picking it in my own garden :cool:

cheers,
M

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Sounds like an idea to me, as pound for pound, saffron is more expensive than gold - you could literaly grow your own money plants! :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
They have been grown successfully in the UK. In Saffron Walden in Essex in the 16th century and 17th century the saffron crocus was widely grown, hence the name of the place.

Geoff

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If each wee bulb can be coaxed to grow five or six flowers, that's two bulbs worth per meal.....and that's a lot of saffron :)

I've found you're more likely just to get a single flower per bulb, but then the bulb will produce several smaller bulbs so, after a few years, you can build up a large supply of bulbs which will flower. But then you will need a decent amount of space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE