Growing your own Saffron?

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Would this be possible?

I have a little space in my garden where I have created a raised box from sleepers, I am planning to use it for something, but everyones advice is to make it something useful, rather than something that will just go to waste.

So i thought about spices I can dry and use, then I thought about saffron, being tighter than a drum skin i never use saffron becaise of the price, but if i can grow it, well it opens up loads of ideas!!

Saffron Tea for example http://www.ehow.com/how_2177298_kashmir-saffron-tea.html

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I think you need an awful lot of crocuses to get any decent amount of saffron. I don't think Falkirk has the climate for it either, it's not even hot enough in Kirkliston. :) The saffron crocus flowers in autumn and it'll still need to be warm.

I love the stuff, every time someone I know goes to the Mediterranean - where's it's obviously much cheaper - I ask them to bring me some back.

Last edited:

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Spices which will work outdoors in summer are coriander, horseradish, fennel. Horseradish would work well in a box as it can be quite invasive.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If anyone has a source for saffron crocuses would they let me know ?
I'll try it here, I can borrow a garden that's in full sun :D

cheers,
M

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
Surely it would be ok here, its grown in the moutains in allot of places!! falkrik is no that bad lol, i can make the raised bed into a mini green house and where it is situated is in the sun all day and sheletered by fencing right round my garden!! I'm no expert Locum, but the links i seen said it was easy to grow!! the box is about 4ft by 8ft, do you think its worth a shot?

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Absolutely, having read up on it a bit more I fancy a go too. Like I said I love the stuff. :)

I'll see you two in October for a saffron party.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Very difficult growing the saffron crocuses north of the mediteranian, it needs specific weather conditions,a warm spring with a certain quantity of rainfall ( just before flowering) & a hot, dry summer........ it hates cool as well as hot & humid conditions while in flower,...they are very susceptible to rot if the weather is wet during the summer......If you can get hold of some bulbs & can afford to loose them, why not try.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We've grown it for several years and not had many problems with it, if anything it's quite an easy plant to grow. I'm in Surrey, so not that far north but I know it's grown in Wales.

We grow the bulbs in large tubs and have always got it to flower. IIRC you plant the bulbs deep to flower and less deep so they produce extra bulbs, although we've always found they bulk up quite quickly.

No problems with cold weather, they seem to survive cold, snow and ice. I don't know about damp as ours never sit in very wet soil. They do flower in Autumn and the leaves grow in Autumn and Winter.

Main problem we've had is mice eating bulbs that we've lifted and stored.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Mmm, thats a tasty recipe. Given that the general advice in the UK is to plant saffron bulbs/corms out in august for an October harvest what are you going to put in your box until then? Like I said coriander runs to seed quite quickly around here out of doors in the summer. You might be able to get two spice crops in one year..

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
Well that would be great idea locum, also slowworm just pointed out something, pests!!! my garden gets a pile of rabbits, so the coriander would be a test run for potetial pest damage!!

I have never gardened in my life, why would you lift and store bulbs?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I have never gardened in my life, why would you lift and store bulbs?

I don't after the mice got them.:lmao:

The bulbs only spend about 6 months of the year growing so I lifted them to prevent them rotting off or something. Sadly I did't think the mice would get them, now I just leave them in pots. Squirrels could also be a problem but some fine chicken wire laid over the soil surface should stop them.

If you've never gardened before I'm not sure they'd be the first thing I'd suggest growing. As has been said earlier, they don't produce a huge amount.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Have you tried it timberwolf? interested in any tips you could give us from success or failure?

No I've never tried as I don't have the necessary weather conditions & quite frankly for what you harvest, 3 stigmas per plant, you need an aweful lot of crocuses if you want to do more than just flavour 1 paella . As well as the weather there are a lot of wee beasties & furries that just love to nible them.....growing under cover is not really ideal as it can get damp & they just love dry heat when in flower,......It's a lot of work & worry for the result, As I said if you're motivated give it a go,...you may get lucky, & a 1976 summer is just around the corner ( optimitic or what ?)

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
Loads of squirrels about here as well!! I forsee allot of squirrel and rabbit getting eaten soon, how do they go with coriander and saffron :-D

I work in a ferrari bodyshop, I think the apprentice will be welding up a mesh cage/greenhouse frame to protect the box!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE