Grohmann knives......classic or boat?

Sile86

Jun 21, 2011
Treviso (Italia)
Hi, I would like to buy a Grohmann knife for outdoor and general uses like food preparation, feather-sticks, fishing.... Not for hard work (I use a small axe for it).

So I'm undecided between classic model or boat model:

classic
no1big.jpg

boat
grohmann r3s.gif

What do you think about? What do you prefer?....and if you want tell me why you prefer a model over the other :D

Thank you a lot!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have the little kit one - It's a lovely thing, used primarily to dig stray arrows out of the frame if I miss. If it was down to me I'd go for the classic - the longer handle gives you different grip options.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
The boat would be my choice for a genreral camp knife ...the angle between handle and blade would make it good for tip up tip down cutting, good for doing your fire sticks ...and the way the handle sits give your fingers space from you cutting surface when doing food prep ,,,,,which makes it the boat for me ......both very nice though

Jason

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Either or work well but if you're ordering one premade get it in the flat grind if available and you'll have more versatility , especially when it comes to food prep .

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I have the Classic but remoddled the handle rather than have the sharp end to the handle. It has a flat grind an is just magic for most types of use.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've got the classic from a kit....kinda wish i'd got the boat knife as it looks a bit more substantial, that said the classic has a good grip and makes a good light neck knife as Dancan says....get the flat grind

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have all 4 models.:lmao:

I would recommend getting the flat ground. Otherwise, no major preference but for some reason I gravitate towards the boat.

I also like the small camper, which is a flat ground bird and trout (bottom knife in pic). A really fine small game knife.

If you are going with the standard grind, you might consider a Murphy. Cheaper and the handle is thicker and more comfy for hard use, imo.

Sile86

Jun 21, 2011
Treviso (Italia)
I think classic model is an excellent skinning knife but boat model is an all-around knife....a good choice for general uses because It can be used better with food, wood, skinning....right?

I will buy a kit by outdoormesser....is it a good site?

Thank you a lot!

Jun 15, 2012
Canada
Hi,

I have both the Boat and the Original classic.

My personal preference is for the classic #1, I never really took to the boat knife
I like the many grips the handle offers, find it easier to use for any fine work (wood or food prep). prefer it for cleaning fish.

My wife has the smaller version Bird & Trout #2 in flat grind. Very nice little knife.

The flat grind is worth considering in either.

Cheers Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE