Grilling without a campfire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Instead of the dog bowl setup you could get a couple of 8" steel woks (I think Wilko's still have them), take the handles off, so they nest for packing, and use a Trangia-style potlifter. Where you can have a fire you'd have a couple of versatile pans and where you had to have a raised fire you could use one of the woks as a firebowl & cook in the other. A small kettle would stow quite nicely in them too.
What a brill idea :bigok:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I had a Honey stove and i found it fiddly in the top of the Summer. I couldn't see me going thru all that palaver with chilled pinkies in the depths of winter.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I had a Honey stove and i found it fiddly in the top of the Summer. I couldn't see me going thru all that palaver with chilled pinkies in the depths of winter.

Yeah I know what you mean, on a bimble I just take my volcano stove - but for an overnighter I think the honey stove is worth the fiddley setup - especially with the hive upgrade.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It's an interesting topic - I was talking to an Aussie about trails over there - all fires are banned on many of them, even woodgas or kelly-kettle-type things. It's the risk of embers and sparks, you see.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Yeah I know what you mean, on a bimble I just take my volcano stove - but for an overnighter I think the honey stove is worth the fiddley setup - especially with the hive upgrade.

Maybe the Vargo Titanium Wood Stove has the edge on flat packed stoves and ease of setup as it is all hinged. However, you do lose the ability to expand it with a hive-like expansion pack which an obvious plus of the honey stove.

Maybe we need to start coming up with great excuses on why sometimes a fire is better than a gas stove, especially if the only arguement against it is stop burning the trees as it's damaging to the environment??? It's great to ask them the amount of CO2 produced on the production line of gas canisters, and how long it would take to renew propane as opposed to renewing wood.

About the embers or sparks in a dry environment, then I guess they've trumped us on that one and I'll happil use gas to avoid causing any devastating forest fires... However, most the time in england your lucky to even get a fire going most the time. Let alone be able to set the forest alight!

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Maybe the Vargo Titanium Wood Stove has the edge on flat packed stoves and ease of setup as it is all hinged.

I've read some bad reviews of the Vargos abilities to keep a fire going... but not had any firsthand experience with it. The other reason I like my honey stove is it doubles as a stand/windshield for my tatonka burner (although I think you can adapt the vargo to do this?)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Ok, it's a shame the honey stove hasn't adopted a hinged approach. It would be great if the side panels where hinged, even better if the hinges where of a simple hook and rod design, allowing you to clip as many as you like together (and leave them together and be able to zig-zag fold them flat or again dismantle them if you wish) and then if you could purchase different sized bottom and top panels (square, pentagon, hexagon, heptagon, octagon nonagon, decagon..... I don't know, all manner of polygons to cater for however small or however large:)... Really though I suppose hexagon, octagon and dodecagon would suffice).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE