grey squirrels storing nuts

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
can anyone tell me when do greys start storing nuts keenly. as a 5 miletrip to supermarket ,has shown 3 on the verges under hazel trees digging/burying is this normal at this time of year or a sign of a rough winter ahead.thanks moocher.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've been seeing little scrapes in the ground for a few weeks now. I can only assume that it is squirrel activity. Not sure when they are supposed to start though.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I would expect it depends on when the nuts start ripening...

Which brings me to a question that's been at the back of my mind for ages: is there any way of getting at those hazelnuts before the squirrels get 'em? You watch them ripen, and then they're gone...

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
dont know how you could do it as the squirrels will eat nuts in the green or unripe state,so they have a head start on us,many times seen them eating conkers that are white.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I kinda figured that was the answer... I seem to recall that in Patrick Whitefield's "Earth Care Manual", when he discusses the possibility of growing hazel for a nut crop, simply says "if grey squirrels are in the area, they will take all the nuts." No ifs, buts, or maybes, and not "some" or "most".

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I've noticed the Squirrels round my way have been collecting green nuts for the passed week (two at a time), I don't know if they are burying or eating them though.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
They seem to be eating the green nuts as the lil buggers drop them on me as i walk past them and they all have teeth marks in and never fully eaten, wasters! :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE