Grey Fox (WARNING: Pictures of dead animal)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

I do not know what the policy is on posting pictures of dead animals. But I would feel terrible if one of my posts shocked or offended a forum member. For this reason, I am making this initial post without pictures.

If I learn from a moderator that it is OK to post these pictures, I will gladly go ahead and post a picture taken from a respectable distance. In the meantime, I will provide a link at the bottom of this post to the pictures and more details about what I saw and how I think it went down.

I understand there are no grey foxes in the UK. They live almost everywhere in North America. They have short legs and shun parts of the country where deep winter snow makes travel difficult for them. They also avoid areas that have little brush or trees to provide cover. They are relatively small animals, weighing from 3 - 5 kg.

What fascinates me about them is that they can climb trees! When is the last time you saw a dog in a tree? Their curved claws are semi-retractable somewhat like cats. Trees provide refuge from predators and can help them locate prey.

I have tracked them, but have never seen a live grey fox in the wild. They are very reclusive. But I did encounter a deceased one while hiking. It was a beautiful creature, even in death.

bcfrm_fox.jpg

Here is a link to the pictures, along with my guess as to how it died: Death and the Grey Fox

I hope members can share what they know about foxes. Do you have any tips to help me see them? Anyone care to speculate as to how this one met its end?

Regards,

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's OK to post pictures as long as there is some warning as you have already done.

It looks like it was killed by another fox in a territorial dispute. No idea if you have coyote or wolf in that same area as they would be high on the list of suspects along with dog too. I think we can rule cat out due to the bites along the flank.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I generally (but not always) post picture sof dead stuff under fair game (if hunted for food) or under "tracking" (with a warning) if just stuff I've encountered. Animals (including dead ones and hunting them) are a prtty big part of bushcraft after all.

I can't help with tips to see gray foxes, but red foxes can be called in very close - 20' or so - by sitting quietly and squeaking like an injured rabbit.

Last edited:

Haggis

Nomad
Red fox cover/hunt large areas, Grey fox tend to hunt intensively in smaller densely covered areas and are reluctant to leave them. If you want to see a Grey fox, or call one in close, try dawn or dusk, in their home range. Everything about a Grey fox helps it blend into its surroundings or makes it a better hunter: it has coarse outer fur to act as armor against brush and thorns, it's coat is mottled to help t fade into the background, it has a shorter nose than a Red fox, it doesn't have large front paws as does a Red fox as it is not a "mouser", its ears are smaller, its gestation period is shorter than a Red fox. The Grey fox is quite simply a different animal, and a very efficient hunter/gatherer.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
from the pics i'd say that fox has definitely been killed by another animal. If I had to guess i'd say by something a fair bit bigger/stronger than itself

As for finding them. As a fox hunter, a trail cam would be out first. Followed by me with night vision and thermal....the last two are probably going a bit OTT but a trailcam would definitely
Help you out

Haggis

Nomad
It was most likely killed by a coyote; coyotes will kill every fox they can catch, but it may have been killed by a dog, or dogs. I've seen foxes torn to bits and pieces by dogs and coyotes. A 10 pound grey fox has but little chance but run and hide against either to these two aggressors.

JonathanD, thanks for the guidance about posting pictures!

British Red, I appreciate your help too. Much of the land where the foxes live is public. So if I fill out the proper paperwork, I can visit them at dusk/dawn/night. The thing is, that is the least desirable time of day to squeak like a rabbit. I could gain the unwanted attention of a predator that weighs more than I, and it might not realize its mistake until it was too late for me. :)

sunndog, I have been toying with the idea of getting a trailcam. Perhaps now is the time. Or at least the excuse. :)

Haggis, there is dense cover like the type you describe within about two miles of where I found the body. I will pay more attention to similar terrain next time. I know that bobcat reside in the dense cover, but this is the first time I thought to look for grey fox.

I also agree with you, Haggis, that it was most likely coyote that did the deed. I consulted a tracker who works in the area and he thinks so too. It is unlikely (but not impossible) to find domestic dog on this land. So I think coyote is a better guess than dog. I am still keeping an open mind.

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE