Greenwood carving ideas wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up a YouTube channel which will mainly feature me pottering about in my workshop making things, looking at bits of my kit or out and about when I'm in the woods.
I have started listing out potential videos I want to do and am struggling a bit for content on the woodworking side.
I have so far got spoons, wooden forks, bowls, chopping boards, pot hangers, tent pegs, wooden mallets etc... And hope to get the time to make a log workbench and perhaps a shave horse but I am struggling for other items that can be made from a piece of green wood.
I am thinking simple camp and household items and wonder if anyone has any suggestions?
I prefer to work with hand tools - axe, adze, froe, knife, saw, drawknife and gouge/chisel and start with a branch or log even if I need to work it down to something approaching a beam or plank.

Any ideas for projects of this type would be greatly received.

Cheers, Hamster

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bowdrill fire starting kit (all but the cap stone, of course.)
Bow, hearth board and drill rods. Needless to say the hearth board and the drill rods must be soft dry wood.
I have 2 hearth boards and 3 drill rods finished, as well as the cap stone.
I'm carving a Raven at each end of the bow, then it's ready to light up.
I'm really fortunate to have an online mentor who is at ease with all my questions.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
How about a paddle? But a real one of course
06e57b03.jpg

What we call a fish bonker:). Priest to you, I believe
017.jpg

A wineglass, or variation of one?
44a09ab6.jpg

Maybe a shelf from a burl?
IMG_2706.jpg

A candle holder?
8990b2c9.jpg

A half log bench?
IMG_3657_zpsb8626fac.jpg

A scissors holder?
IMG_4123_zpsa25af2e5.jpg

Or maybe something in miniature?
IMG_4165_zps0bc3675b.jpg

That's about it for ideas from me. I'm trying to come up with different things to carve as well.:)

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks guys, I like the priest and the bench ideas, I am thinking more along the lines of more traditional everyday items for use around camp or homestead. I'm not explaining this very well but kind of like simple bowls, mallets etc...I suppose things with a more hands on use than decorative or static.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
There is no reason why hands on useful items can't be decorative too, mate ;)
Chairs, stools and side tables all fall into the remit but there are many tools which could be made from the lowly rake to those that need a bit of metal as well like scratch guages or moulds that could also add to your finished designs.
Rob.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I had a bit of fun the other day making a traditional besom broom using a woodsman's grip. It has proved surprisingly useful.

Also what about shrink pots?

Z

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Butter spreader. Simple drinking cup (beaker from a small round of wood). Back scratcher (long handled fork essentially).

I was wondering about the wooden pliers that have been seen recently on this forum, and whether they could be modified to make a pot gripper. Essentially you just need an angled head on the end.

Has anyone said kuksa yet?

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Thanks guys, I like the priest and the bench ideas, I am thinking more along the lines of more traditional everyday items for use around camp or homestead. I'm not explaining this very well but kind of like simple bowls, mallets etc...I suppose things with a more hands on use than decorative or static.

Are you talking like cabin use? Coat racks and the like maybe small tables and such

that wine glass is really cool

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Butter spreader. Simple drinking cup (beaker from a small round of wood). Back scratcher (long handled fork essentially).

I was wondering about the wooden pliers that have been seen recently on this forum, and whether they could be modified to make a pot gripper. Essentially you just need an angled head on the end.

Has anyone said kuksa yet?

Those are more the things I had in mind, I am trying to get my head round the mechanics of making a beaker from a round and kuksa is definitely on the list.

Bikebum1975 - I really am struggling to explain well what I mean but I guess Harvestman's ideas come closest. Items that are simple in design and to make but have a specific physical use that is not stationary - more eating/drinking vessels, mallets etc... than coat racks though I will hopefully be making a workbench from a green trunk and perhaps a shave horse.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Those are more the things I had in mind, I am trying to get my head round the mechanics of making a beaker from a round and kuksa is definitely on the list.

Bikebum1975 - I really am struggling to explain well what I mean but I guess Harvestman's ideas come closest. Items that are simple in design and to make but have a specific physical use that is not stationary - more eating/drinking vessels, mallets etc... than coat racks though I will hopefully be making a workbench from a green trunk and perhaps a shave horse.

I cheat making a beaker. I cut a greewn round from a fallen softwood of appropriate diameter and drill out the middle with a forstner bit (you could use a brace and bit I suppose, or a chest drill, or an auger) to about the right depth. I take the bark off, and carve out the remained of the inside of the cup with a curved blade (I use a flexcut). Then I leave to dry and sand it smooth inside, since getting the bottom of the cup interior finished well is awkward.

Wooden plates are easy - flat surface with a lip. Ladle, trancher if you want a rectangular plate. I have also found that a large simple two-pronged fork with a long handle, like a toasting fork or a meat carving fork, is surprisingly useful even if you can't put one in the fire. Spatulas and slotted spoons too. A thin bowl with holes in becomes a colander. Also simple boxes. Three-legged stools and tables. Hobo fishing reel. Tool handles. Catapult frame. Candle holders (they don't have to be candlesticks). Wooden plugs for bottles and jars. coasters, trays. Eggcups.

Here's some of what I have made previously.
9451004161_a18c372aca_b.jpg

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I cheat making a beaker. I cut a greewn round from a fallen softwood of appropriate diameter and drill out the middle with a forstner bit (you could use a brace and bit I suppose, or a chest drill, or an auger) to about the right depth. I take the bark off, and carve out the remained of the inside of the cup with a curved blade (I use a flexcut). Then I leave to dry and sand it smooth inside, since getting the bottom of the cup interior finished well is awkward.

Wooden plates are easy - flat surface with a lip. Ladle, trancher if you want a rectangular plate. I have also found that a large simple two-pronged fork with a long handle, like a toasting fork or a meat carving fork, is surprisingly useful even if you can't put one in the fire. Spatulas and slotted spoons too. A thin bowl with holes in becomes a colander. Also simple boxes. Three-legged stools and tables. Hobo fishing reel. Tool handles. Catapult frame. Candle holders (they don't have to be candlesticks). Wooden plugs for bottles and jars. coasters, trays. Eggcups.

Here's some of what I have made previously.
9451004161_a18c372aca_b.jpg

Now that's more what I was trying to describe, almost like everyday treen (not the ornamental type) I will definitely be trying the beaker idea and not considered a slotted spoon or colander (except when I mess up my carving). coaster should be a nice simple one and I like the look of the napkin ring type thing in the bottom corner.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thank you. I sold almost everything in shot that day, barring one spoon and the big board, plus the rubbish vase at the back and the ring (wish I'd though of calling it a napkin ring). My favourites are the three small boards with holes or handles cut out. they were made from a single thin plank of elm, and I cut a hole to remove a nasty knot, then liked the look. Oiled with walnut oil, and then I sold them as cheese boards since they were too small to be chopping boards. They went almost instantly.

I'd really like to do a set of matching small bowls or cups, but my turning isn't that good yet. Coasters are virtually cheating: take log and slice it. Microwave the slices for 30 seconds so they don't split. Sand smooth. Oil.

Ha! I've just realised that I used my massive Dutch army wool blanket as the table cover!

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thank you. I sold almost everything in shot that day, barring one spoon and the big board, plus the rubbish vase at the back and the ring (wish I'd though of calling it a napkin ring). My favourites are the three small boards with holes or handles cut out. they were made from a single thin plank of elm, and I cut a hole to remove a nasty knot, then liked the look. Oiled with walnut oil, and then I sold them as cheese boards since they were too small to be chopping boards. They went almost instantly.

I'd really like to do a set of matching small bowls or cups, but my turning isn't that good yet. Coasters are virtually cheating: take log and slice it. Microwave the slices for 30 seconds so they don't split. Sand smooth. Oil.

Ha! I've just realised that I used my massive Dutch army wool blanket as the table cover!

I must admit I was admiring those boards. I think my biggest problem is making more work than necessary for myself, I love the idea of making things from scratch from fresh timber and only hand tools (traditional type where I can) and my current skill level isn't quite up to making planks - well at least not flat, smooth even ones yet!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I must admit I was admiring those boards. I think my biggest problem is making more work than necessary for myself, I love the idea of making things from scratch from fresh timber and only hand tools (traditional type where I can) and my current skill level isn't quite up to making planks - well at least not flat, smooth even ones yet!

Nor mine. I bought the elm board from the offcuts bin at my local woodmerchant who provides stuff for turners and carvers. Cost me about £2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE