Green Woodwork

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
How many people here do it? I did a course where I made my own shave horse in October and since then I've gotten big into it. It's hard getting quality timber though! I managed to pick up some tools like a drawknife, froe and carpenters brace and I'm gonna try get a side axe soon.

What kind of things do ye like to make out of it? So far I've only managed some tool handles, a club and a mallet but I'd love to make some stools and some structural work.

My ultimate wishlist would be a chopping block made out of solid elm :rolleyes:

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I made a shave horse and pole-lathe several years ago, but find it hard to get good green hardwood where I live in Aberdeenshire. There are plenty of conifer forests but there is no coppicing done apart form small areas of hazel in a local nature reserve.
I don't use the pole lathe at the moment, and is is in bits ! The shave horse is useful for more general woodwork sometimes. Mostly I make furniture from seasoned wood at the moment. It would be good to do more green woodwork though !
I do have a side axe that I never use ! It is a right handed one, PM me with your details if you would like it. :)

Reactions: underground

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've been working green wood on and off for forty odd years. I've made chairs, stools, wattle & daub panels, cleft ash gates, hazel fence panels, tables, garden furniture, besom brooms, turned and carved plates and bowls, spoons, spatulas and ladles - and about a thousand other items. Now I just do it for fun mostly and run a few courses a year in Green woodcraft - mostly in the lake district. Having a good source of wood to work with definitely helps. I found volunteering as a helper for various woodland trusts/national trust, opened many doors and gave me the opportunity to get access to otherwise unobtainable wood. Even in woodland areas I wasn't involved with, the word went around and people used to phone me up and ask if I wanted any of the stuff they'd been felling before it went in the chipper.

Eric

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
Hey Osprey thanks a million for the offer but I'm a leftie!

Eric, did you manage to learn all the skills by yourself or were you taught? I've seen pictures of your work on here I think, impressive!

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
I am 'into' green woodwork but work and children give me so little time that I barely do anything at the moment. As soon as things dry off in the garden I'm planning to install a pole lathe and use timber from local treemen to turn rather than having to go out into the woods, as other wise it just ain't happening.

If I ever get a bit more time again, I'm planning on attending a course to learnthe proper way of doing things.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Floyd Soul said:
Eric, did you manage to learn all the skills by yourself or were you taught?

Bit of both. I'd been self taught pretty much for years, but went on a year long course with Maurice Pyle just to learn new techniques and different ways of doing things. He learned some new stuff from me but I learned tons more from him. Nowadays I just like to share my knowledge with anyone who's interested, but i'm still learning stuff, and will continue to do so until I peg out.

Eric

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
I bought a book by Raymond Tabor 'Traditional Woodland Crafts' the other day, it's fantastic. It's hard to find any decent green wood where I'm living which is a shame but when I do get some I'm gonna try make a cleave break and perhaps some cooking utensils.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE