Green Manure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
i have planted a few beds with Mustard and Vetch and both are a few feet tall. Don't really want to chop the Mustard just now as it is flowering and attracting a lot of bees. A quick Google says to chop it before flowering but I won't be planting anything else on the beds until spring so my plan is to leave it until they go to seed, has anyone done this? If so did it seed itself the follinging year and become a pain to keep on top of, thanks.

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
Yes it came up for about 4 years but it's not hard to pull out or problematic other than just being there.
Thanks Kadusha. I will leave it then no different from all the other weeds. All beds get the hoe run over them a few times a week so it sounds like no hardship.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I pinched the tops off and took the fresh sprouting bits to add to my stir fries. Can't say it was superb, but it was tasty, easy grown, green stuff.
The seeds make good mustard if you can be bothered threshing enough out.

Comes up again for a bit, but they're easy to weed out.

Reactions: chjo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE