waste of money in my view anybody else got any coments on usless items

jay120970

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
devon
its that eco gel in the green packets
maybe ok in summer but usless in snow and cold winter conditions
for the price around a fiver to six pounds for 12 and ment to be used with
the crusader cup and cooker i think there far poorer than the stadard hexi block
just interested if anybody else has any cr*p kit they would like to moan about
next time am taking my trianga

jay120970

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
devon
what i have found out is that a civi size trianga burner fits under the us cup stand but the cup puts out the flame as it slides down into it so i drilled a couple of holes for wire so the cup sits on top

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's OK for a brew in warm conditions - I wouldn't like to use it as a main cooking fuel though. It's also good as a fairly bombproof means of starting a fire in a hurry.

I haven't tried using in in the cold, but if I did, I think I'd try to warm it first and insulate the cooker from the ground. Like I say, I haven't tried it, so I don't know if that would really help much.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Use it all the time under my crusader for a quick brew, must admit to never having used it to cook over, i normally get the stuff going for a brew while i put my basha up (if it's not raining that is), by the time i have basha and hammock up, the brew is done. :)

In winter i keep two sachets on my person to keep it warm, but even the stuff in my pack seems to work ok for a brew, if i need to cook i use my trianga, or better still get a blaze going. :)

I dont think it serves the purpose for cooking over, but for a quick brew it's good enough. :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i use it now and again, but only to make a brew. it gets water hot enough for a cup of tea but not much else. worth having, but i wouldn't like to have to rely on it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I remember reading a post on here about an alcohol based hand cleaning gel that could be used in a crusader, is that any better than the Green Heat stuff? At least that might have two uses.

Ogri the trog

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
In Wilkerson they have Bryant & May (who usuallly make matches) equivalent to Green Heat. Much cheaper & for the price a reasonable product. Better than the aforementioned.
Other kit I could not get on with...Blast Match. I just couldn't get the sparks to take as opposed to a ferro rod which usually works well. One of my stepsons will inherit the blastmatch as an extra gift this Christmas!
Kelly Kettle. I've never owned one myself, have have been on courses where I've watched people try to get them going & failing.

jay120970

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
devon
yeh ive used it to make a brew but it dosent boil the water just makes it warm enough to drink

kelly kettle hmmmm although good carnt beat the military trianga

which is what i think i will stick to in future
cheers guys

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
whilst the SAT is good, if you just want to boil water, not much can beat the kelly kettle.
fast and reliable and will burn anything flammable.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I usually use the Crusader kit for tea making and then when that's doen, shove another sachet under and boil up the same amount of water with pre cooked stuffed pasta -the stuff like ravioli but in a plastic packet. It only needs 'boiling' for 3 mins and provides a quick energy packed hot meal. Obviously due to the limitations of the Crusader, it stays on for a bit longer, but then I add a sachet of tomato soup to the water and this makes a nice sauce, while retaining all the starch in the water too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE