GREEN anorak..??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
This might seem like a simple thing to find, but i ware a lot of layers and i dont want a coat with any kind of padding or insulation on the inside of a anorak as i am normally warm i dont want it to be breatable or hi tech and i dont want it to have loads of pockets i just want a half zip with a hood that keeps the rain and wind off and is dark green. i have a really brilliant one by lowe alpine but it is bright red :(

so what do you people advise?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
These are good. I have a Braemar windshirt, very well made and resonably priced for ventile. Green too :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Make your own :) Wax jacket fabric is £3 a metre just now, dark green, brown or black. A zip will cost about a £. Won't catch and tear easily nor will it hole from small sparks.

Cheers,
Toddy

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
How about the Arktis Stowaway shirt ? Windproof and water resistant, made of pertex so not proof against heavy rain. Packs away into something about fist sized. Wouldn't want to set it aginst thorns or sparks but great to carry with you for those days you reckon you don't need a coat.

They've not got prices on the website but mine cost me about £15 a few years ago.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Tomtom,
I made my own ventile jacket, I used an old favourite jacket that was falling to bits as a pattern (it was DPM too). So I have a olive green ventile arctic smock that cost me a touch over £50.
I personalised it with different pockets and wooden buttons, its a very cool piece peice of kit.
Neil

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Making your own could be a good option mate, Toddy and Neil would undoubtedly give you any advice you needed and they're very experienced at making outdoor gear. You'd then have something very personal. Just a suggestion, it'll be a good price and you can have what you want!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
tomtom said:
yup.. that what i am looking at doing now!
Toddy where is the best place to get the kind of material your talking about?

I can get it in Glasgow....might even get a discount if I smile nicely :)
You just want a pullover with a heavy toothed plastic zip front neck and a hood? Maybe with velcro adjusters to tighten the cuff?
If I buy 3m it'll be ample and allow some leeway for 'changes of mind' (ahem!)

Time to think about what you *want*. Little things like pockets, drawcords, ventilation, wired hood front? or as simple a pull on smock as it's possible to make.

There's a brilliant Neolithic cut that only has one seam under the arm and across the chest and another straight down the front. Cuts down on potential leaks and keeps everything simple.

I'm not offering to sew it for you, (just too busy, besides then it wouldn't be *your* jacket) but I will work out a pattern and cut it out if you want. I can get rubberised cagoule fabric for £1 a metre just now....you could do a dirt cheap trial run first.

Let me know.
Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you use a needle meant for denim and suitable thread, then yes. Might need a little adjustment of the tensions, but when I do sew by machine it's just a standard Singer I use.
Zips and extra layers can be tough, patience and a little forethought goes a loooong way ;)
Wax jacket fabric leaves everything oily though WD40 cleans it off the machine when I'm finished.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE