Gransfors Outdoor Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bandis

Nov 23, 2009
south east
I was all set to get an SFA when this came along and confused me no end. It seems on paper to be able to do the job of the SFA but is much more compact.

Has anyone tried one of these yet, if so what do you think of it. Should I stick to the SFA or does the portability of the Outdoors axe make it a better option.

Ta.

Bandis

Nov 23, 2009
south east
Thanks, I saw the thread the other day. I probably should have used that thread rather than starting a new one!

I think I will go with an SFA as it is tried and tested. I would maybe just like an axe that is a bit smaller to transport. I am surprised at the claims regarding limbing/felling etc given that it is lighter than the wildlife hatchet.

Hopefully somebody will buy one soon!!!

Cheers

Apr 13, 2010
lancashire
Hi,You are not kidding on the quality of Gransfors. I have had three wildlife hatchets in as many weeks. The first one broke at the top of the cutting edge after a few swings, i sent that back to Greenwoods and they sent me a new one - that had a badly misaligned head and it was too big so it cut the sheath, i'm now on my third and it seems okay. I still think the old Norlund axes feel better though and cut as well. I wrote and complained to Gransfors regarding the quality of their axes and this is the reply i received -
"The axe you have received fulfil our requirements and has passed our check, our axes are hand made. Since it's nothing wrong with the axe we can't replace it. You might contact your dealer and try to change the axe or return it."

Great customer service eh? and that reply took a week! so according to the so called craftsmen at Gransfors a misaligned head is acceptable to them. So if your'e thinking of buying an axe you might as well go for a wetterlings or better yet buy a vintage one. For me, Gransfors suck ****....

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
Hi,You are not kidding on the quality of Gransfors. I have had three wildlife hatchets in as many weeks. The first one broke at the top of the cutting edge after a few swings, i sent that back to Greenwoods and they sent me a new one - that had a badly misaligned head and it was too big so it cut the sheath, i'm now on my third and it seems okay. I still think the old Norlund axes feel better though and cut as well. I wrote and complained to Gransfors regarding the quality of their axes and this is the reply i received -
"The axe you have received fulfil our requirements and has passed our check, our axes are hand made. Since it's nothing wrong with the axe we can't replace it. You might contact your dealer and try to change the axe or return it."

Great customer service eh? and that reply took a week! so according to the so called craftsmen at Gransfors a misaligned head is acceptable to them. So if your'e thinking of buying an axe you might as well go for a wetterlings or better yet buy a vintage one. For me, Gransfors suck ****....

did you notice which ones had which initials on them? it seems odd to me that they would let their quality slip so much and it is sad if they have because they have been such a good brand for so long!

Apr 13, 2010
lancashire
Hi Scorpio, all the Gransfors i had were made by Mattias mattsson (MM) they were the only one they had in stock because they take delivery of a run by one maker, i tried to get one by LP but they didn't have any. Who knows whether it would have been better made.
On the upside the one i have now seems fine and i guess i just had a bad experience, but when you are splashing out £50 for an axe i want the thing right and to at least have good customer service. Sadly none of the axes i had met those criteria. To be fair though it does cut well and feels well balanced in the hand.
I have a few decent axes and the old Norlund axes are among my fav's as well as a very nice Robert Sorby camp axe that has the hardest steel i have come across so far.

I have plenty of pics of them restored if anyone is interested.

Axes - Norlund, gransfors, Marples, Sorby, Brades, Peerless, Collins, Gilpin, keen kutter and for my knives - Buck strider police ATS34, Spyderco manix

thanks for listening to my rant!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE