Gransfors bruks, small forest axe or outdoor axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Getting a shiny new axe for my birthday (an axe and a spoon carving knife, I do love my family) and I was simply wondering if anyone has tried these two and has any feedback/recommendations they could make?

Thanks
Fred.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Get the outdoor mate. I have both- they're both well made axes and are both functional but the outdoor punches above its weight- useful axe for carrying for 3 season camping but the small forest is no good for carving realistically and isn't quite big enough for a winter axe but it is a bit too big for a summer pack axe. Nicely made but a bit of a jack of all trades - I never used to see it like this but the more I compare them the more this is my conclusion. If I were you'd if probably get the larger Scandinavian forest axe- but most likely still the outdoor. Hope this helps! :)

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Need a bit of an all rounder really, it's going to be my only axe for the foreseeable future. Mostly general camping/messing about in the woods but also some carving and woodwork.
Thanks for the feedback Clouston, the outdoor was actually what I was leaning toward, just skeptical as to wether it would be worth the extra cash, glad to hear it's a good one.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
The outdoor also appeals as it's slightly lighter. I know that's not something you normally look for in an axe but I do quite a lot of long distance hiking and keeping the weight of my pack down does wonders for the spine.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Small Forest Axe every time for me based upon the reasons that you've given. It's designed as an all-rounder, and it serves that purpose very well. I've used mine for everything from carving cutlery (it's a decent carving axe if it's given a suitable profile, a properly designed and set up carving axe would be better though, John Neeman makes some nice ones) to felling and snedding quite large trees (anything above about 6" in diameter is hard work with a small axe like the SFA, but it's possible, much easier with a felling axe though, Council Tool make some very nice felling axes).

If you were to spend the money that you have lined up for an axe on a course with someone like Ben Orford you'd get a much better idea of what you want in an axe, as well as a good grounding in how to use the tool safely. You'd then be able to take that knowledge for a walk round the local car boot sale/junk shop/flea market etc. and use it get yourself the axe that will actually suit your needs for very little money at all.

HTH.

Stuart.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Thanks for the help. So many choices! Getting some hands on experience with different axes seems like a good way to go.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Haggis

Nomad
For decades I used only Boy Scout sized axes (1.5lb. heads) for wood working or "bushcraft",,, they were all I could afford. I'd pull the heads off the dogleg helves and replace them with 19" straight helves. Then, some years ago, when I no longer had any "real" need for a small axe, but still enjoyed having and using them, I stumbled upon the GB Small Forest Axe. That's what I have now. There is little that can't be done with it, shaping wood, splitting small rounds, making gluts, and making mauls to drive gluts through larger rounds. It is the Bentley version of the cheap Boy Scout axes I once used to make my living.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
its a very difficult. Question for us to answer, all we can do is give a bit of general advice

Mine is this
I have both the axes on your list, and they are very different. The SFA is a mighty chopper compared to an outdoor
If you just want to feed a firebox of some kind and cut the odd stake the outdoor is a capable and easily packable little axe
If you want to build natural shelters, limb decent sized green wood, and feed larger open fires then the SFA is about the most axe you can fit in a medium size ruck, plus it will do the smaller tasks too

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Yeah it's a tough choice, both seem like good axes and it will probably ultimately come down to trying them out and seeing which feels nicest.
Good to get feedback on which one everyone prefers etc, though it does seem to be a pretty even split.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Don't overlook the wetterling bushmans axe. That is what I settled on faced with a similar choice and criteria and haven't regretted it at all, great all rounder and the design lets you choke up nicely on the head for finer work.

I handled the SFA and the Outdoor at the Wilderness Gathering recently and fine axes though they are they just didn't feel as "right" as the bushman, must be the weight/balance or something but just took to it right away.

Cheers, Paul

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Mostly general camping/messing about in the woods but also some carving and woodwork..."

It sounds like the Outdoor would be my recommendation too, I don't own one but have had a play. I have an SFA, it would probably be my choice if I needed to travel long distances with an axe in my pack. However if I was going to be processing a lot of wood and perhaps bringing down some trees, I would choose the Scandinavian Felling Axe. :)

IMG_0306-003.JPG

Last edited:

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Went for the outdoor in the end. Lovely little axe, very happy with it. I'll check out others in the future but for now it does seem like this will do everything I need.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Good choice. I've got both and the SFA rarely gets to play out these days. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fantastic axe, it's just that it's very rare that I'm doing anything that the outdoor axe can't cope with. Weight for weight, is the best axe I've ever used.

Cheers, Michael.

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
I'm no Mr. whoop de do with axes, but I play around with them. I have the tiny Wetterlings hatchet and love it. The G. Bruks small forest and love that. But I find the small forest to be fairly limited as to what it can comfortably split. I recently picked up the Fiskars x25 splitter and that does a dandy job....as a splitter. I also grabbed the little Fiskars hatchet and I enjoy it quite a bit. But this also feels more like a kindling splitter than a chopper, my Wetterlings hatchet leaves it for dead, but the Fiskars is ok. I love the Fiskars hatchet weight, which is next to nothing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE