Gransfors Axe Stone

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I've been seeing this question pop up around the internet world but really hasn't been answered to my satisfaction yet so I'm hoping someone here knows. These are the stones in question (the two at the bottom of page 1)http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Products/Sharpening_Tools/
What is the practical difference between the ceramic stone and the original sandstone one? Is one really any better than the other? Would ceramic last longer and keep a flatter surface?
Sorry for all the questions but I would really like to know from those of you that have these, or from anyone that has knowledge of the differing properties of the two materials.
In the past I've used ones from Lansky and others but found they wore down too quickly for my liking.
Any and all information will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have not tried the ceramic stone but I do have the original natural stone - which is great!
As the grain size on both stones is the same I would think that performance would be about the same and it is just a case that they cannot source enough of the natural stone to make them any more....
But that is just guesswork realy...

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
If you click on the "details" button for it to go to the next page it says, as per John above also:

"Due to difficulty obtaining the natural materials used to make the original Axe Stone, Gransfors researched and developed this ceramic alternative. Known as the Gransfors Ceramic Grinding Stone, this model has comparable properties to the original.

Highly recommended by Ray for sharpening knives as well as sharpening axes, this two-sided Ceramic Axe Grinding Stone has both coarse and fine sides, and is encased in durable rubber, helping to keep the stone in place while in use. The stone is round and flat with a bevelled edge to prevent chipping.

With a coarse side to deal with rough damage, and a fine side suitable for fine grinding and sharpening, this is the only Axe Stone you'll need when out in the field. And with a diameter of 57 mm and weighing in at just 160 g, it certainly won't weigh you down. It makes the perfect partner to the Gransfors Axe File, which is required when heavier damage has been inflicted to your axe.

Details:

Grain size on coarse side: 180
Grain size on fine side: 600"

Gets a few good reviews too.

Cheers, Paul

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I can't tell you the differance, but I've had one of the original s sandstones for a few years now and love it as I take it out with me when I'm out for more than just a couple of days. It says on it that it can be used dry I tried it once and it scratched my hatchet alot and it took my 800 grit Japanese waterstoen to get them out, it's alot better when wet though, no scratches as of yet. I mainly use it on my GB Wildlife hatchet and my O1 Enzo Trapper with great results.

If GB's other products are anything to go by I'd imagine the man made version is pretty darn good.

I totally agree with Mr Mears that it's great for sharpening everything as it's small and light. The only thing I add is a strop which is an old off-cut of leather glued to a bit of wood with some compound on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE