Gransfors Axe Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Although I have always quite liked the sheath on my Gransfors Axe I have never been a fan of stud fasteners and when this eventually failed on my axe sheath at the weekend it was just the excuse I needed to make a new one. So armed with some nice old looking 2mm leather and a stag antler point I created something more suited to what is my favourite piece of Bushcraft kit. :p

axesheath.jpg

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Now that is beautiful!

BCUK has so many skilled members, great work..............but I think you may be making a few more of them in the near future :shock:

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
That's very beautiful. Have you ever made a possibles pouch, looks like it wouldn't prove too much trouble for you?

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Yes it is a single piece of leather, I will get some more pictures up today. I am working on a possibles pouch at the moment, trying to make it a bit different.....watch this space for some pictures.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Some more pictures. As I said before its a single piece of leather and fairly easy to make, I wet formed it around the bottom edge of the axe head just to get a more positive location although it is not really that important and could be made without wet forming.

axesheath2.jpg

axesheath1.jpg

axesheath3.jpg

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
That's the spirit Jak. Nothing is beyond people's skills. Remember when you thought bow drill was ? I do... and kept trying till I did it. Bushcraft !! :super: Buying is easy. What's more it'll be yours... made by you. And will be extra special. My Popper is also broken on my sheath for my Granny B so I'll be giving it a go soon :wave:

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
I cant see myself making them for sale as Gransfors make quite a large range of axes, I only have two of them and I would have to buy them all in order to make up a pattern for each one.....tempting as this does sound........plus each axe is handmade and as with all things handmade no two will be the same.
Good luck making your own and if you need any help or advice please feel free to email me.

J

Jamie

Yet again I am in awe of what people on this forum of capable of creating!

Great job mate.....wonderful work, beautifully done.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Jamie said:
Yet again I am in awe of what people on this forum of capable of creating!

Great job mate.....wonderful work, beautifully done.

Talented bunch aren't they... :biggthump Ya got to love the ingenuity of the members...... The spirit of bushcraft is alive and well and living right here on BCUK.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
You know what would be great! - If all these talented folk - who know what bushcrafters actually need could create our very own range of gear, bergens, smocks, footwear, stoves, shelters, knives and accesories.
For the people, by the people - that sort of thing, why accept the compromises of the current "outdoor - gurus" & mass market, sales driven, quick-profit-making, egotistical muppets that currently control the outdoor markets.
BCUK is a very powerfull infant that will grow and I hope will be a champion of the real outdoor enthusiasts in this world.
All of your ideas and enthusiasm is already starting to make a difference, keep it coming, please.
For many years I thought my outlook on the outdoor world was "freakish", simplicity, natural fibres, old skills, knives, axes, fires....... then I met you guys :wave:
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE