Granfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
... seeks new partner for long-term relationship, fun, and maybe more.

Swings both ways, used to the continuous highs and lows of working life; adventurous and keen, requires firm but gentle TLC and will fulfil your wildest dreams if handled nicely. Subtle, elegant, practical; wears a leather mask but ready to remove and bare all for the right partner. Always willing to split, shave, limb and, well, the sky’s the limit…

Go on.

You know you want to :)

Seriously :rolleyes: carried often, used once (lopped an alder branch in one stroke), there are a few minor scuffs on the mask but the head and handle are completely unmarked.

I can supply photos on request and/or if required but you all know what one of these looks like.

Makes the GB SFA look like a box of crayons by comparison :headbang:

I have two of these :yikes: and since my other one shows every sign of being utterly indestructible I am looking to trade this one on.

I would like to trade (with cash adjustment if necessary) for a good pack; Sabre 45, LA Sting, Predator Patrol, even a (genuine, NOT a copy) NI Patrol pack, possibly even an Osprey Kestrel et al, minimum of 35 litres but nothing huge - LA Sting would be the upper ceiling limit, capacity wise. Side pouches academic, but nice to have if available.

Would prefer solid colour but will consider one of the cammo derivatives if necessary. Must be as mint as a packet of Trebor Extra Strongs - no ex-issue please.

Any offers can be discussed by PM.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
... but you all know what one of these looks like.

i dont?

Google is your friend :D

Pop scandinavian forest axe v small forest axe into Google and get more information than you probably want - the joy of the internet and all the 'facts' contained thereon :rolleyes:

Basically the Scandinavian axe is a 25" handle combined with a 2 lb head.

The Small Forest Axe is a 19" handle and a 1 and 1/2 lb head.

The basics of axes is the longer the handle the more power you generate in the cutting stroke.

You could have a lighter head on a longer handle and cut more efficiently than a heavier head on a shorter handle.

The heavier head on the longer handle of the Scandinavian axe simply ups that game even more.

This is a gross oversimplification but the rule of thumb is handle length = power to the cut. Other factors can heavily influence this like thickness of the axe at the bit, edge geometry and angle of the ramp and other nonsense, but handle length is about the biggest influencing factor of cutting efficiency, all things being equal.

Until recently the heavily endorsed Small Forest Axe was considered by many to be the one to have. I passed my Small Forest Axe on the day after I bought it simply because I can achieve almost as much with a Wildlife hatchet as I can with a Small Forest Axe by using a different approach and varying technique but the Small Forest Axe can't even dream of approaching what the Scandinavian can do so, to me, the Small Forest Axe has always been a neither fish nor fowl axe and I never understood why so many people were so caught up with it. It's too big to be a hatchet and far too small to do anything really useful. Just my opinion, and others can feel free to agree or not as they choose.

Interestingly Ray Mears recently released his own go faster axe which steps up the Small Forest Axe and, wait for it, it has a longer handle, among other things.

That is why I said the Scandinavian Forest axe makes the Small Forest Axe look like a box of crayons by comparison, because it outperforms it by such a very, very large margin. Unless you have the chance to work with both you will never appreciate just how massive a performance difference we're talking about - thankfully Google has tons of reviews by a lot of different folks from all over the place on this very topic and they pretty much universally agree on the performance factor. The only downsides to the Scandinavian are its longer length and slightly heavier overall weight make it a little less convenient to carry than the Small Forest Axe. Unless lightweight is your goal, there is simply nothing to compare in performance terms.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE