Gränsfors Bruks in Belgium and in Sweden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rattebek

Mar 15, 2010
Brussels
Hi all,

I'm building a hiking/camping/bushcraft kit and I would love to add a Gränsfors Wildlife axe to my gear. I've been scanning the internets for a few weeks now, to see if there are any stores in Belgium that sell these things. Up until now I have yet to come across such a place, so I was wondering if there are any fellow compatriots of mine who know where I could find them.

I avoid ordering online for three main reasons:
- Shipping costs.
- I would like to try and feel one before actually buying it.
- I'm going to Sweden in the (maybe not so) near future anyway.

That third point brings me to my second question. I'm planning a trip to Sweden, although I'm not exactly sure when I'll actually be able to get there (cf. internship, studies, etc.). Chances are that I will be doing some other trips before the one to Sweden, and it would be nice to be able to take the axe with me to those other places as well.

Essentially my question is: how much will I pay if I buy one locally in Sweden? Is the price difference worth the wait?

Cheers!
Thanks for reading!

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hey, you can buy Gransfors axes at Willy Vanhoute:
http://www.willyvanhoutte.be

Axes are here:
http://www.willyvanhoutte.be/nl/catalog/show_cat/1784

The axe you want is ofcourse cheaper in Sweden:
http://www.naturkompaniet.se/Product/Product.aspx?id=21455

Overall this is a very very nice axe, which I have not only used to fell trees and split firewood but also for carving paddles, thwarts and railings for wood-canvas canoes and smaller things like bowls and spoons. If I were to only buy one axe I would get the bigger small forest axe though, but that all depends on your specific needs. I got the axes at reduced price but if I had to pay the price asked in willyvanhoutte's shop I would pay that price to get it, as it will last you a lifetime with proper care.

It's nice to see a fellow belgian interested in bushcraft.

Rattebek

Mar 15, 2010
Brussels
Hi Gunnix, thanks for that link! Willy Vanhoutte is a great name for a woodworker btw... (for anyone not in on the Dutch language thing: Vanhoutte is etymologically related to the word 'hout', which is Dutch for 'wood').

I'm thinking about what you said about the small forest axe... It's 300 grams heavier than the wildlife axe, and also a bit longer, which makes it slightly less interesting for backpacking. But then again it's more useful around the house than the lighter one, so I can make better use of it when I'm not travelling (which is most of the time...).

But to make up my mind I do have to compare them hands on.

I'm quite new to bushcraft actually. I've always been drawn to the woods and forests, but only now am I going to try to experience them fully...

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Welcome to the forum Rattebek.

I've got a Small Forest axe and a Wildlife Hatchet. It's true that the SFA is the most versatile of the two, but if your needs are limited to camp chores and splitting firewood then the WH is probably the better choice, especially if you're carrying it. I found mine more than adequate for my outings during autumn and winter in southern Sweden.

Alternatively, get in touch with Cegga to see if he has any of his excellent small axes available.

I don't know about the prices in Belgium, but don't expect to get anything cheap in Sweden...

Cheers, Michael.

Last edited:

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I'll give an example of when I use which axe:

I take the small forest axe for camping in swedish winter(-10 to -30C) with open fires, the weight is no problem on the back. I prefer to take a bigger axe and save weight by taking no saw (and ofcourse light sleeping bag, mat, tarp, food..). Definately in remote areas a longer axe is better as it's safer, but as long as you sit on your knees doing most chopping you should be fine with a smaller one.. (most important when you are tired, or if it's a bit dark) I take the smaller axe in autumn and early spring. In summer I often don't bother since not much firewood is needed, just small branches are fine for cooking.

Yes it's a good name for woodworking is'nt it. They also have mora knives by the way.

Last edited:

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Hi Rattebek, welcome!

Willy van Houtte seems to be extremely expensive! € 95,- for the smallest GB axe!!

(For the Brits: that's GBP 85!!)

In Holland you can find them for about € 50,-, which is the same price as in Sweden unfortunately. I was hoping to bring back a nice and cheap Gransfors from our holiday last year, but the prices were the same.

Good luck with finding a stockist, Google doesn't help much. I'd contact GB themselves to find out who sells them in Belgium.

Thijs

Rattebek

Mar 15, 2010
Brussels
Thanks for the help, guys!

I think I might go for a Small Forest Axe after all.

Thijzzz, is there a shop in Den Haag or Amsterdam where they have GB? I might be going there in the near future...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE