Got some wood, now what?

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My work is next to a building site and they were felling trees there today so I went over and asked for piece. They very kindly gave me this.
2011-02-23%2019.57.49.jpg

2011-02-23%2019.57.59.jpg

Pattern 58 cup just for scale.

Now I'm very new to carving and would like to have a go at a spoon or 2 and maybe a bowl though this might be biting off more then I can chew.

What's the best way to go about this and cut up this log ?

Also it was chopped down today so should I leave it for a bit before I do anything or do I need to crack on before it dries out ?

Any other information would be gratefully appreciated.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Nice log! Split it in half now, so you can split it where you want, not where it decides to. Keep one half for bowl blanks, and split the other half down further for spoon blanks. It will be easier to carve while it is still green.
Hope this helps

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Out of curiosity, what wood is it? Looks a bit horse-chestnutty to me. If so, I've been told that Horse chestnut isn't very good for turning, apparently. Dunno why. Should carve ok though. Split it as Muddypaws and Brancho have said.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
On closer look, yes, pine it is. That'll teach me to look at the wood as well as the bark! Pine is great for first carvings and whittlings, especially when green, as it is soft, but holds a good shape. I made a small drinking cup from a small bit in about an hour or so with a spoon knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE