Good Tracker required

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Being really cheeky , is there anyone local ish (to Dorchester, Dorset) who would be interested in helping me track , photograph and possibly film an otter ?
I know roughly of 2 sites quite localy , but have not yet investigated further . I have always loved the otter as they are so playfull , and have always wanted to appreciate them in the wild . I have no more camera skills than your avarege tourist and any tracking i have done was military based ! May need a few pointers before setting out but can place the nesting sites fairly accurately on an O/S map .
I would like to do this properlly with complete respect for the otters , hence my request .

And yes if i manage to get some photos , i will post them ! ;)

Cheers

Pumbaa

pumbaa said:
Being really cheeky , is there anyone local ish (to Dorchester, Dorset) who would be interested in helping me track , photograph and possibly film an otter ?
I know roughly of 2 sites quite localy , but have not yet investigated further . I have always loved the otter as they are so playfull , and have always wanted to appreciate them in the wild . I have no more camera skills than your avarege tourist and any tracking i have done was military based ! May need a few pointers before setting out but can place the nesting sites fairly accurately on an O/S map .
I would like to do this properlly with complete respect for the otters , hence my request .

And yes if i manage to get some photos , i will post them ! ;)

Cheers

Pumbaa
Pumbaa, if you are going out to deliberatly film Otters in the wild, unfortunately, you have to have a license as Otters are a protected species and there is a possibility, however remote that you may disturb them

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Unfortunately, jon's right, it's illegal to disturb their breeding sites no matter how careful you are!

I would suggest a trip to the west coast of scotland or the western isles where you can sit and watch them from your car.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Does that apply to photographs as well ?
Or does that mean "no photographic equipment" ?And dont go near ?
I am rather shocked by this liscence thing ,considering where the so called "experts" have placed one pair (its less than a mile from my gaff, and this village has a high population of young poachers!) :eek:
Scotland is no good , its miles !! However tempting .
What can i do to see these local otter , or is it a big no go ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

J

Jamie

Hi Pumbaa

Being a fello otter lover, one thing I would suggest to you is to be a member of the Dorset Otter Group (care of Dorset Wildlife Trust) where you are asked to go and check for sign of otter in an area of your choosing. This helps to create a better idea of the spread of otters throughout the country.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
One of the city housing scheme sites I visited last week (SIP area, major deprivation, run down housing, vandalism rife, etc.,) to preview for a four day summer workshop, sides straight onto the river Forth. We went through the torn fence and right in front of us was a set of otter tracks disappearing down into the river :D Brilliant.

Cheers,
Toddy

Richard

Sep 30, 2003
Kent
www.trail-sense.co.uk
A quick summary of the law in relation to disturbing otters:

Relevant sections of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981(as amended) make the following an offence in relation to fully protected animals:
Part 4 (a) damage to, destruction of, obstruction of access to any structure or place used by a scheduled animal for shelter or protection
Part 4 (b) disturbance of animal occupying such a structure or place

The Conservation (Natural Habitats & c.) Regulations 1994 implement EC Directive 92/43/EEC, known as The Habitats Directive. This makes it an offence deliberately to kill, capture, or disturb a European Protected Species, or to damage or destroy the breeding site or resting place of such an animal.

However, as previous posts have indicated, you can have plenty of fun 'tracking' otters by helping your local Water for Wildlife Officer survey and monitor field signs. Contact your local Wildife Trust to find out how to get involved. As river-dwelling otters are primarily nocturnal and extremely shy, the only reliable (and possibly legal) way to watch and photograph this species is to go up to the west coast of Scotland where they are active during the day. The other way of course is to go to a wildlife park, but I know this isn't an ideal substitute!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
That would be great, to put a photo into your post it need to be posted to a web host - I use photobucket.com others here use Yoxio.
You post your photo to their site (resized to 640 x480 ish) then put a link to it in your post here, using the button at the top of "reply to thread" screen. It looks like a little pic of some mountains, if you hold the mouse over it it says "insert image" you can then give it a name, and cut and paste the URL (web address) of the image in. It should then automatically appear in the thread.
I hope that makes some sense to you ?
Cheers
Rich

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Just had a word with my local Police Wildlife Crimes Liaison Officer re: filming otters and he sent me the following e-mail.

"The possible offences that may be committed by filming an otter at a holt are:

Sec 9(4)(a) Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 - intentionally or recklessly obstructing an otter holt
Sec 9(4)(b) Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 - intentionally or recklessly disturbing an otter whilst it is in a holt

Reg 39(1)(b) Habitats Regs 1994 - deliberately disturbing an otter
Reg 39(1)(d) Habitat Regs 1994 - damage or destroy an otter holt

If a person were to film an otter in a holt there is the possibility that one or more of the above offences may be committed, if there is any possibility that an offence may be committed it is advisable that a licence be obtained under Sec 16 (3)(e) of the WCA. This licence is granted (in Wales) by CCW licensing team in Bangor and will permit activities (conditioned) that may otherwise be illegal.

There is no general licence for filming/watching/photography of otters but it would be required if any of those activities are likely to disturb the otter as outlined above."

Hope this helps.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Last year I designed and built an artificial otter holt adjacent to a river in West Dorset. I haven't yet been back to check whether it has been visited although there was - at the time - lots of otter activity in the area (loads of spraint and tracks).

Reading these posts however leads me to a question - will I need a licence to visit 'my' own holt?! i.e. in relation to Sec 9(4)(b) Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 - intentionally or recklessly disturbing an otter whilst it is in a holt

Is an artificial holt regarded in the same way as a 'natural' one? I would presume so - can anyone confirm this?

Bob :)

Bob said:
Last year I designed and built an artificial otter holt adjacent to a river in West Dorset. I haven't yet been back to check whether it has been visited although there was - at the time - lots of otter activity in the area (loads of spraint and tracks).

Reading these posts however leads me to a question - will I need a licence to visit 'my' own holt?! i.e. in relation to Sec 9(4)(b) Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 - intentionally or recklessly disturbing an otter whilst it is in a holt

Is an artificial holt regarded in the same way as a 'natural' one? I would presume so - can anyone confirm this?

It is indeed regarded in the same way, as strange as that sounds. Any protected animals home is also protected, wether artificial or not.

A job very well done though Bob. Probably the best way to cover your self to check it would be to get in touch with The Dorset Wildlife Trust and they should be more than happy to arrange a check and you would probably be allowed to go along

Here's the link for The Dorset Wildlife Trust

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Bob said:

Things like this can be tricky. As Motorbike Man says it doesn't matter that the holt is artificial, if it is in use and you decide to check it you may be in trouble. The local Wildlife Trust is probably the best route to go down. Someone with a licence could check the holt for you while you watched.

The same sort of thing applies to bat boxes. Many people have put up boxes on their houses and check them to see if they are being occupied by bats. If they aren't occupied no problem. If they are occupied then I'm think I'm right in saying that you should have a licence!.

Wolfie said:
Things like this can be tricky. As Motorbike Man says it doesn't matter that the holt is artificial, if it is in use and you decide to check it you may be in trouble. The local Wildlife Trust is probably the best route to go down. Someone with a licence could check the holt for you while you watched.

The same sort of thing applies to bat boxes. Many people have put up boxes on their houses and check them to see if they are being occupied by bats. If they aren't occupied no problem. If they are occupied then I'm think I'm right in saying that you should have a licence!.
Yup, again you are correct, although with bats in particular (This may also extend to other protected species but I'm not sure yet) you even need a license to disturb a known roost regardless of wether or not it's occupied. I've been present on a few occaisons when people have phoned up and said they want the 'nasty bat thing' removed from their house and it's had to be explained to them that it's actually illegal to remove them except in dire circumstances. Although how anyone could refer to a bat as a nasty little thing is beyond me :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE