Good Quality Wool Blanket.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good quality wool blanket to be used as a make shift sleeping bag in the summer (folded over and sleep on one half with the other covering you) and as an extra layer for hammock camping in the winter.
I'm not too bothered about weight or bulk as I won't be carrying it very far, and the majority of the time it will sit in the car.
As a rule I tend to shy away from the military look and surplus equipment but after trying to find a civilian camping blanket it might be the only route.
I have no experience with buying ex-military gear and after a little research it seems there are an awful lot of knockoffs that should generally be avoided.

My budget is flexible-ish and I'm willing to save up to get the right blanket, for me quality trumps economy.
I'm 6'4" with a figure closer to Big Daddy than I would like, so I was thinking something close to 2m x 2m would be good.
Having read on the forums people like endicotts I had a look there and saw this
http://www.endicotts.co.uk/content/norwegian-patt-woollen-blanket-grey

Is this any good?

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

People with wool blankets what do you use?

Is merino wool really worth the expense?

I'm interested in any and all information anyone can give me and apologies if this has been gone over before.

Cheers Ken

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Hi Ken,

I use a French army woollen blanket I think I paid £15 for on eBay a year or two ago. It's 200cm x 150cm, and in cold weather I layer it between a British army doss bag and liner. The whole shebang straps up inside an WW2 army officer canvas bedroll/bivi and I've been cosy down to -5c or below.

I am generally a fan of old army kit (if you hadn't guessed!) and, being also tight, can't comment on the merits of merino wool.

The Endicott blanket, if it's genuine Norwegian army, will be a good buy. Best ring or email them to check.

Hope that helps,

Nick.

If endicotts say its norweigen army then its norweigen army without a shadow of a doubt.
Kev knows his surplus :)

I use 2 blankets most the year. A dutch army sup (now rarer than a diamond in rocking horse poop) and a merino wool one.
Merino is lighter than army sup and almost as warm.
I usually sleep in the merino one wrapped in a diamond lay the ln have the dutch one to sleep on top of. If it gets chilly i can then get into the dutch one whilst still in the merino blanket

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I asked in a local charity shop - "I've got a Witney blanket at home I was going to give in but wanted to make sure it was going to a 'good person'" said the lady behind the counter. A couple of days later I went in and a huge blanket was set aside behind the counter for me - price?, free. :).

It helps to pop in to a charity shop occasionally, find one where the folks behind the counter are nice and talkative, talk nicely to them every now and then, and there's no end of bargains that come around :)

Anyway Witney blankets are supposed to be pretty good.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
A good all wool blanket, should weigh over 4lb, depending on size.
Remember the construction of the blanket, affects the use. A loose weave will be warmer in a room than a tight weave, though the tight weave is more wind resistant, so will be warmer outdoors.
If using two, put the tightest woven one, on the outside.
Hudson Bay Company.
Whitney.
Filson.
Pendleton.
Johnathan Atkinson.
Hainsworth.
These are amongst the very best blankets you can get.
Italian Army Wool blanket on Ebay for £36.50 is very good, even the copies, (Rothco) are good.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If you hve a look through my past threads I did a write-up on some handmade trade blankets from Germany. They are very nice quality, warm and thick.

I'm just on my phone here otherwise I'd find the link and copy it for you.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Cheers for the info everyone.
I'm still undecided but I'm leaning more towards a store than ebay.
Also I think I'd prefer a grey/green/blue etc, rather than the tan military mart blanket.
Anyone else have any suggestions?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE