Good crop.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
This season, I resolved not to become , as usual, 84kg of potential wasp fodder and so I have started reaping from my yellow plum tree...(dunno variety.) about a week, ten days earlier than normal ripening time.

Just stopped for a smoko; early estimates show that I can expect about 90 lbs of fruit! And here I am without sealable jam jars or wine making kit.

Better I get some clamp top jars, PDQ, or it looks like we will all be eating plum pies until next Easter!

Now why oh why am I getting dagger looks from my Missis?

Ceeg

Phew, its done. 113 lbs in total.....and I better not prevail on the mem for jam making...it was she who flogged off the last batch of sealable jars and large pans, clearly hoping that muggins would forget all about it.

Ceeg

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
That's a lot of fruit. Best get the jars and the wine making kit (go on - it's not that expensive, really!). And a really big pot...

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
I just started this years Rumtpof (Rumpot) its a large pottery jar with a loose lid, you fill it with summer fruits as they come into season and ripen (plums, strawberries, grapes, pear etc, etc) and cover them with cheap rum (white) this then preserves the fruit which can be used for baking cakes etc and you get a real nice drink too (not too bothered about the fruit I do it for the rum!!!), I will use 2 bottles of rum and filter / decante the rum back into the bottles in the winter, start in the summer, with the first fruits add the same amount of sugar then as you add fruit you are meant to add half as much sugar (it can get too sweet) drink it all on New Years Eve!!!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
A good place to find demi-johns is your local tip. They often have them at my tip and they'll sell you them for 50p.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
how about some plum beer? (i have had some and dont like it much but it could be worth a go)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Aaaarrrgh. I am fed up with the plums.

Frozen what fittted into the freezer, kept enough by for the rumpot and a few pies.
Hands have turned a nice shade of terracotta/orange, during the de-stoning.

The rest of ,em have been dished out, just to get shot of them.
Doled them out in 4lb bags, to neighbours, friends, friends of the friends, neighbours of their friends , relatives unto the third generation, and Doris the tea lady..

Wished I hadn,t,
A lot of them grow plums too....Aw naw.

Ceeg

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Seagull said:
I am a bit suprised that Capn Badger didnt leap in, to say it was a waste of good rum!

Ceeg

I'll do it for him.... :rolleyes:

Nah, you can't waste white rum. Stuffs only good for lighting the fire and cleaning your glass ready for some proper, dark rum! *LOL*

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE