Good blades for making arrow heads.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Hi,

I am learning flint knapping and am wondering if anyone would sell and post me a box of good flakes so i can practise my pressure flaking.

I would be very greatfull for any help on the matter.

Cheers,

Andy

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Ogri is totally right!!!!

Its easier to start you pressure flaking using the bottom of wine bottles or other thick glass material (bottom of vases, etc). After attending a couple of days with Karl Lee, I definitely found that it was so much easier to get the technique right using glass initially and then moving onto flint.
You'll find that glass flakes easier and uses much less pressure compared to flint (which can be a real bugger).

The other bonus is that you now have an excuse to empty all the wine bottles and to buy plenty more!!!

well thats only partialy true most beer bottles are slightly curved on there bottoms which makes them somewhat tricky to knap. 90 % of the time you can get it to work without any problems and make a nice arrow head that is razor sharp but it will always be some what curved from the bottle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE