Golite tent supplies in the UK......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I cannot find any reference about this on BCUK so....Has anyone else noticed that the supplies of Golite tents, especially favourites like the Shangri La 3 and 5, are rapidly diminishing in the UK?

I'm lucky enough to have these already (and don't wish to part with them yet).

A while ago I noticed the options in the UK to buy the flysheet/nest and other components separately were being steadily reduced.....then I saw that often the tents were only been advertised as a complete tent/inner package (together with a price increase I think). The availability of these appears to be dwindling fast.

I get the impression prices have actually fallen in the US, but you have to buy directly from Golite; unfortunately they will not ship to the UK.

The stock from the usual UK suppliers is patchy or non-existent and I noticed some prices have jumped further; Shangri La 5 and inner now £495 on Amazon.

I did see a comment from one regular UK retailer that their relationship with Golite was not good now.

So does anyone know what's going on? Are the UK to be frozen out by Golite? Should we save our precious 'Shangri-la' tents as collectors iems only!!!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Bob had two Hex 3 / Shangrila nests left, i had one a couple of weeks back, Rose then told me that the other went a few days later.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I was looking for a nest recently and noticed this. I think it was Bob's site?
I just had a quick look on BPLUK and he doesn't seem to have any Golite tents anymore and he is/was quite enthusiastic about them. Bob seems to have cornered the market in the 'Luxe' tent alternatives.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
It looks - from their US site - that golite are going down the direct marketing approach - cutting out the middleman and their 100% markups in order to compete with the rash of cheap imports like the Luxe. As a result, their prices have fallen dramatically over there - the Shangri-La 5 is now $299, including the nest.

ps - I'm not implying that "cheap imports" necessarily means low quality, just low prices!

Last edited:

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I think it was because they were so damm expensive!! especially when you have to buy 3 seperate items to make up a "full system" I've had one in the past an wasn't that impressed with the cost aspect!! I now use the mini peak (luxe) and pound for pound it offers great flexibility and superb value for money against other solo/bivi tents/tarp tents etc!! :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I ordered one from the US - It's handy having friends there. The cost was £171 including USPS to my friend. When it arrives he will ship it to me. I expect the cost to be, for the outer and nest, still under £200.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I contacted Golite to ask them what were their plans regarding Golite tent supplies to UK retailers. I am disappointed to have to advise you this is their reply I received today;

'At the moment we do not have any plans to resupply UK retailers. If there is an address in the US you can have items shipped to we can place an order over the phone with your international credit card. At the time this is the only course of action we can take'.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I just hope this gets resolved in the near future and that we can get replacement parts if we want them.
If I'd known I'd probably bought another SL3 to put in reserve.:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE