going feral

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
not marxist? sounds decidedly marxist to me, the trading of skills for non-monetary rewards...:confused:

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
as long as everybody pulled their weight and everyone had the some ideological outlook then it would be awesome! but unfortunately the nature of the human condition means that we are always looking for that little 'extra' OR that the grass is always greener....

ashes1627

Nomad
Nov 13, 2010
North Walsham, Norfolk
I suppose my idea is not "free living" or a way of getting away from society, maybe the opposite, creating a community. This is going to sound completely "cultish" or strange, but its just an idea.

For a few years now, I had the idea of actually creating a village. About 20 or so people with different useful trades join up and put a significant amount of money together. Jointly, they buy a very large amount of land.

To be in the village you have to apply and go through an interview stage infront of a council. Only those with neccesary skills such as farming, building, etc will be aloud.
They each build they're own house and if they wanted one of the builder members to do some work on the house, they could trade there own skills in return to the builder, such as electrical or whatever there trade is.

It is a really hard idea to describe, but it basically means building a community and home on what everyone is good at.

Once all the houses are built everyone will put in just a few hours a week towards cutting wood, farming livestock, farming vegetables, etc. Meanwhile everyone will still keep there everyday job and the village will just be a way of living cheaply and getting all the essential needs to live for free.

Now why does that idea ring a bell I wonder... Ah the joys of Ethics!

Mar 20, 2011
birmingham uk
Hi sorry I have not posted looking in to Canada or the usa and doing it over there as for the law in the uk I have great respect for peoples land try to ask for permission to stop on it I think some people think I will be running around like some Rambo with no regard for the law taking what I wont and not giving a dam if its yours this is not true . I have spent the last week looking in to the laws on sea fishing and lobster and crab trapping in the uk finding its diffent dependent on were you are if allowed and size and amount you can take . This was so I did not get on the wrong side of the law . As for cloths equipment in the uk this is a problem don’t think I could get away with looking like a cave man .head to toe in fur with out getting stopped and having a Q&a with the local bobby after the locals see me . Were usa and Canada there is parts were I could get lost for a long time. Someone talked about fire water I have used a flint and steel for year found all the parts on my travels and water can be treated without chems maybe my bush craft skills are better than I thought they were . As for stopping in one place was planning to stop in winter so I could store food when in the uk this is a problem as to weather a land owner would let me set up a camp that long . Most nomadic tribes past or present have winter camps and summer camps for food . There are lots of thing to solve and ways to solve then most of the things we need to live you can get for free or make your self . You will look out of place in modern society using some methods which seems to make you the target for people . Seems to me if you don’t have the money ,the nice car ,nine house with all the mod cons the credit card and clothes to match you don’t fit in with the norm . ask your self did your take up golf or play your playstasion all day to for fun or escape reality of how **** life is . Forget the fact you have bourt into the must have world we live in and that if you don’t have it there something wrong in your life .
The thing that gets me is I pay for a TV licence to watch TV three or for times aweek ,pay council tax to live in a flat because I told to be normal you need to live indoors and in one place . I need to work to pay for it . As for the debate about politics’ and the rich land owners most of them got there wealth for the exploitation of the poor whilst inbreeding to keep the power in there control. There seems to be one winner in this world and that’s the guy with the power to change the rules to suit him and his own and the rest of us just have to put up with it .

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Havn't seen a Troll on here in some time

Its the easter holidays why arn't you out enjoying the sunshine?

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
I think your best bet would be to get permission from an owner of a large estate to use the land almost "Untraceably" for a peppercorn sum.
Build up your bushcraft skills, this would happen anyway after a while of learning from your mistakes of 'having' to do so to survive. Then you could run bushcraft courses for a small fee, this would pay your rent.

But then again, your relying on the land owner to be happy with your presence and a steady flow of customers.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Then you could run bushcraft courses for a small fee, this would pay your rent.

images

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm not sure this guy is a troll - I have a 19-year-old son who rails and struggles against the bills and restrictions. He's a good lad, never been out of work since he was 16, but finds it hard to accept restrictions to the routine of suburban life.

To wildmanuk I would just like to repeat that it isn't compulsory to live in suburbia, and if you explore a bit you will find other places and ways to live. I have friends who live in a log cabin in lancashire, a friend who lives in a van and isn't tied down (last I saw him he was working as a sparky on an air base), and I've known of other young people who have moved into bothies and looked after sheep for a farmer. I lived on a boat for 6 years, and for 2 of that paid peppercorn rent for a mooring, lived off-grid, no council tax, electricity etc bills. I still had my waterways fees to pay, but those are small bills compared to a house.

No need to go paying TV license - just don't have a TV! No need to pay insurance, tax on a car - just don't have one!

It's the desire and accumulation of possessions that restricts us.

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
I'm not sure this guy is a troll - I have a 19-year-old son who rails and struggles against the bills and restrictions. He's a good lad, never been out of work since he was 16, but finds it hard to accept restrictions to the routine of suburban life.

To wildmanuk I would just like to repeat that it isn't compulsory to live in suburbia, and if you explore a bit you will find other places and ways to live. I have friends who live in a log cabin in lancashire, a friend who lives in a van and isn't tied down (last I saw him he was working as a sparky on an air base), and I've known of other young people who have moved into bothies and looked after sheep for a farmer. I lived on a boat for 6 years, and for 2 of that paid peppercorn rent for a mooring, lived off-grid, no council tax, electricity etc bills. I still had my waterways fees to pay, but those are small bills compared to a house.

No need to go paying TV license - just don't have a TV! No need to pay insurance, tax on a car - just don't have one!

It's the desire and accumulation of possessions that restricts us.

Well said i fully agree with you here :35:

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
ha! i responded to the original post positively. with encouragement even. the the troll call was made and lets face facts this whole off the grid thing could to a large extent be seen as running away. as such i made a smart a***d comment.

im sure he wont be crying over it - so lets just move along

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
ha! i responded to the original post positively. with encouragement even. the the troll call was made and lets face facts this whole off the grid thing could to a large extent be seen as running away. as such i made a smart a***d comment.

im sure he wont be crying over it - so lets just move along

The comment you made was not smart, you were just being a verbal bully. But i will agree on one thing you said "lets move along"

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Where forums fall down is often due to the utter lack of body language, facial expression and voice inflection in everything we type, which robs us of most of the potential meaning underlying the words we type.

As such, apparently innocuous (subjective) comments can often be misunderstood, while others may be understood only too well.

An often quoted example of how the English language in written form fails utterly to be clear:

"I didn't say she was his wife"

Which could be any of the following:

I didn't say she was his wife

You can also combined several of the above examples where more than one word ends up being emphasised in such a small phrase.

To cut a long story short there are well over a dozen ways of reading/interpreting the above phrase/sentence of only seven words, so while someone might think they are being witty and clever while others might not agree. Someone else might think they are being clear and concise while others are left thinking "Eh ?"

On the one hand anyone who asks for feedback on a forum is, by definition, opening themselves up to everything from outright ridicule to supportive advice while, on the other, those offering commentary can go a long way to self-police and moderate their own responses and keep them relevant and (hopefully) helpful. Even concentrating on the negatives can help define and highlight the positives.

I am a great believer in a 'if you wouldn't say it to their face, don't type it in a forum from the relative comfort and protection that the anonymity of membership affords' philosophy.

The above is not directed at anyone in particular - I'm just always surprised at how things sometimes take a downturn and drift wildly off-topic for (often) all the wrong reasons.

I'm actually surprised this thread is still running given some of the posts in it.

I'll get my coat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE