Going back to the ground (new dog)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Yes unfortunately I am going to start sleeping on the ground after 5+ years of swinging between the trees. Just got a new doggy and once shes' ready for it I intend to take her camping, but I don't think the dug and hammock gear will be compatible. I've been meaning to get 'into' bivvying or using a bedroll and so using it as an excuse to hit up some places where I couldn't hang anyway (beaches!).

Just wondering what you guys would consider on the budget end in terms of adapting to ground dwelling.

I'm a cold sleeper so I was thinking of picking up an MOD arctic bag on the bay (£30), that way the dog can sleep with me without wrecking my down quilts, and I can lay out by the fire with less concern.

Of course I'll need to get a cheap tarp to go with it ;) Anything better than an MOD basha on the budget end?

Anything you guys can recommend specifically for the dog? Not had one since I was a wee guy. Will need to get a lightweight bowl and towel for her, was maybe thinking a jacket could be good for next winter, help keep the wet off her so I don't end up with a wet dog in my bed.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
When I'm able to get out again I plan to use a Polish lavvu so that the dog with have some shelter but can get out and wander (on a long lead) if he needs to. I can't trust him off the lead. I reckon that should give him shelter and security. An old wool blanket for a bed for him.

I look forward to seeing some pics of you and your new friend on your adventures.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Do you need a new tarp, the one you must have used over your hammock will do.

DD 3x3m, could work as a ground sheet / tarp together, but it's a bit unwieldy when it comes down to it. Also battered to hell (leaky after 7 years) and I've been meaning to buy a new hammocking tarp (a proper UL silnylon one) so figured I might just get something a bit smaller/easier to deal with. I've been fannying around with 'high tech' for a while (UL gear, down, fancy gear) so my mentality towards this is go back to a bit more of a bushcraft-y setup.

I was tempted by the DD S (which is 2.8 x 1.5m) but seems a bit dear at over thirty quid - I'm sure my 3x3m cost me less than that.

When I'm able to get out again I plan to use a Polish lavvu so that the dog with have some shelter but can get out and wander (on a long lead) if he needs to. I can't trust him off the lead. I reckon that should give him shelter and security. An old wool blanket for a bed for him.

I look forward to seeing some pics of you and your new friend on your adventures.

Yeah I like lavvus but they're a bit heavy, don't you think?

Anyone got any experience with the Czech bedrolls? http://www.militarymart.co.uk/czech-army-bed-roll.html

And weight difference between regular and large 90 pattern sleeping bags?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
The Czech bedrolls do what they are supposed to do and actually do it reasonably well, They also really help you bulk up muscle wise if you need to carry them far....if you have been used to going light for a while then you might want to re-think the Czech bedrolls idea.

D.B.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I got another Jack Russell a couple of years ago. One in the hammock was fine, but not two. I've bought an Alkit Hunka XL and can vary between the Coleman Big Basin and thinner bags. I'll be under a DD 3x3 tarp and the dogs will be on a cheapo Tesco waterproof blanket and some lightweight fleecy ones.

Snippy, the older dog, has been known to sleep inside my empty rucksack lined with one of those tartan woolly coats beloved of builders etc. She's quite happy in there.:)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
You might like to try one of these £19.99p tarps for economy if you are not 100% certain just what system you will end up with. That is tarp and bivvi bag, a Lavvu or lightweight tent.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-359124-camping-shelters

Pretty sure I'm going to end up with a basha + synthetic bag for my alternate (doggy) set up. Only problem I can foresee is dealing with midgies as I'm used to having a bug net on my hammock. In which case I might have to pick up a tent - I love the new Alpkits Ordos tents!

The Czech bedrolls do what they are supposed to do and actually do it reasonably well, They also really help you bulk up muscle wise if you need to carry them far....if you have been used to going light for a while then you might want to re-think the Czech bedrolls idea.

D.B.

Haha cheers for the heads up there!

I got another Jack Russell a couple of years ago. One in the hammock was fine, but not two. I've bought an Alkit Hunka XL and can vary between the Coleman Big Basin and thinner bags. I'll be under a DD 3x3 tarp and the dogs will be on a cheapo Tesco waterproof blanket and some lightweight fleecy ones.

Snippy, the older dog, has been known to sleep inside my empty rucksack lined with one of those tartan woolly coats beloved of builders etc. She's quite happy in there.:)

The new dog is a small female Collie. Not sure how she'll feel about the hammock. I know my pal and his Jack Russell have no bother with his hammock but a Jack Russell is a wee bit smaller than a Collie.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Anyone got any experience with the Czech bedrolls? http://www.militarymart.co.uk/czech-army-bed-roll.html

And weight difference between regular and large 90 pattern sleeping bags?

Just weighed my Czech roll and a regular '58 pattern sleeping bag. There's about a pound of weight less in the '58 pattern (2.5kgs compared to 3kgs) and you would be significantly warmer in the '58 than in the Czech roll. That might be a bit 'sub-prime' if the weather is warm though.

They are comfortable to sleep in, but not warm enough for 3 season use on their own (YMMV). However, I've used one in an Aberdeenshire April, with a 3 season synthetic bag inside it, and was as warm as toast despite the dog's water bowl gaining an 8mm thick icecap during the night. On it's own I would have been very cold indeed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE