Gnomes, of the knitted variety

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
While I quite like your hustomtar one question, they all seem to have very prominent noses but somewhat missing eyes?
I think it's partly because the designer has made it one of her trademark design features, partly because it's very hard to get eyes to look right and very easy to get it wrong.

Reactions: TLM

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Oh, I like the green one :)
Thanks! I just finished that one tonight. It was really fast since the yarn was held double throughout. The colours are much better in daylight and although I wasn’t too sure about the colour combinations to start with, I quite like how it turned out.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Where do you have the room to live in your house? The place must be filled with tomtar. :)
Hehe, they’re actually fairly small and so far only taking up part of the mantelpiece. I think after this Christmas, I’ll pack some of them away and just leave a few out at a time.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
theyre awesome, theres a group (i assume) in the local villages who knit hats for the royal mail letter boxes, they have little charecters on and scenes. its nice to see them dotted about.
locals get quite upset when they disapear.. (and I dont blame them)

Reactions: SaraR

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Absolutely love these little fellas.
Do you knit them in the round on sock kneedles?
I'm going to have a go at designing and making a little chap myself.
I've just adapted some little knitted "dude" dolls, (a simple knitted oblong, colour changes for shoes, trousers, tops, face and hat, sewn into a tube and features embroidered on) into soldiers for an xmas present for a little chap I know.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Absolutely love these little fellas.
Do you knit them in the round on sock kneedles?
I'm going to have a go at designing and making a little chap myself.
I've just adapted some little knitted "dude" dolls, (a simple knitted oblong, colour changes for shoes, trousers, tops, face and hat, sewn into a tube and features embroidered on) into soldiers for an xmas present for a little chap I know.
They are rather cute, aren’t they? :)

I wasn’t setting out to buy so many of Sarah’s patterns (https://www.imaginedlandscapes.com/design-gallery/gnomes/) but I think they are both cleverly thought-out and fun to make, so why not. If any one’s interested they are only $8 CAD (so about £4.80) and on Ravelry they’re available as buy 4 - get the 4th one free.

The basic design is to cast on for the brim, knitting in the round and making decreases to form the hat, then pick up stitches on the inside just above the brim and knit the body down as it were, stuff and close up with a set of decreases that make what I think of as pinwheel to make the base. Arms made out of i-cord as well as the nose and beard are made separately and sown onto the body.

Most of mine are knitted using light fingering or fingering weight yarn (so 3 or 4-ply) and short 15 cm DPNs (2.25-2.50 mm). I started out on my ordinary 20 cm long DPNs that I use for socks, but it was a bit too unwieldy.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Have they all got gnomes to go to?
Haha, well this latest one is staying here with Dad and the one before that is a Christmas present for my brother. Most of the others are hanging out on our mantle piece for the time being. I’m planning on a few more, but I’m not going to be making one a month next year, that’s for sure. I’ve got too many other projects planned.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Latest gnome was an advent MKAL (mystery knit-a-long) with an "underhat" and three different hats to choose from.
IMG_20221223_215736039.jpg
IMG_20221223_215859719.jpg
Colours are a bit off because of the lighting, so a bit more cheerful in real life.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I’ve not done much knitting since last spring, but I did manage another MKAL (mystery knit-a-long) gnome (well two actually - a gnome and a “sgnome-man”) after Christmas:
IMG_0613.jpeg

Reactions: Broch

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
IMG_5911.jpeg

This isn’t knitted but is apparently inspired by me! It’s made by my youngest’s bff @ Hollyheartfelt. She is an inspired felter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE